Gaming Use Wireless Card as Open/WEP Access Point

• Thread starter Deleted-236924
  • Start date
  • Views 2,086
  • Replies 7
D

Deleted-236924

OP
Hello guys, my computer is connected directly to the router with a cable.
I read that if I have a Wireless card and a wired connection, I can share the wired connection through the Wi-Fi card.
I tried several programs, even the Windows utility, but none of them worked.
According to my step-father, the problem was that the DS Lite couldn't get an IP address.
But when we manually assigned an IP address, it didn't work either.

What could I do to fix this?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure this is as easy as it sounds. If I remember correctly, ICS (Windows Internet Connection Sharing) is a type of "bridge" that lets you share an internet connection without a hardware access point but it probably requires networking support that may not be supported by the DS Lite (and I'm guessing requires all clients to run Windows).

I've not had to use it myself for a long time but a low-end wireless router shouldn't cost you more than ~$35.

As far as I know, you'd have to do something monumentally more complicated than ICS to use a PC with a Wi-Fi adapter as an access point (such as run a non-Windows operating system, possibly FreeBSD).

I may be totally wrong and there may be something being overlooked with your current set-up but I don't have the means to test ICS with my own DS Lite right now.

D

Deleted-236924

OP
Isn't there a program that could let me share my internet connection apart from ICS?
I did mention I tried some programs (Connectify and another that I forgot about)

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://alternativeto.net/software/virtual-access-point/
That's the best resource I could find with the small amount of time I can afford to spend helping others on forums XD

The free software alternatives will have to provide their own support via their own forums.

I wish you the best in getting something working for free, but if it becomes too much trouble and/or no one else can help you with that info, here's a list sorted by price of wireless routers which have both physical ethernet ports (for your desktop and/or game consoles) and wireless Access Points in their configuration. You could even enable WEP security to keep random jerks from leeching your connection (I don't know what security options are possible via a Windows software solution if there's anything compatible for DS Lite).

And yes, I made sure I went to the Canadian site to look this up for you.

http://www.newegg.ca/Store/SubCategory.asp...amp;Order=PRICE

edit: The reason I am suggesting buying hardware is because I've never run into a wifi router that I couldn't easily set up to work with my DS Lites, DSi XL, and 3DSs.

D

Deleted-236924

OP
Because spending money is not a possibility right now.
And believe me, I'd rather buy hardware than try and do this via software.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ooowwww a new way for me to beat NFS 510 :D @SylverReZ
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Yeah, believe you can do PSP games as well. But a Pi5 is much powerful in comparison.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure about other models of Pi4 but the Pi 4 B with 8GBs OCed to 2Ghz handles PSP really great except like 1 game I found and it is playable it just looks bad lol Motor Storm Arctic something or other.
    Other games I can have turned up to like 2X and all kinds of enhancements, Motorstorm hmmm nope 1X and no enhancements lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Waiting for Anbernic's rg[whatever]SP price announcement, gimme.
    +1
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo