Hacking Use Preloader to boot directly into USB loader?

rwilts

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to use the boot options in preloader to boot a USB loader dol directly on start up. so that when starting Wii it would load a coverflow style loader? ( already got the loaders from here )

tA

hackotedelaplaqu

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
France
I read autobooting a USBLoader dol file will code dump with preloader.
But I've found a usefull trick.
I'm using CrazyIndroVideol.dol as autoboot file.
In CrazyIndroVideo.xml I'v setup a shortcut with D-Pad Down to boot My USBLoader forwader channel.
yaypsp.gif

steve-p

Trophies
XP
Country
no,
but you may get it to run a forwarder-wad

if you try and run a loader-wad it will segfault - i tried it.

earthworm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just installed the loader .dol file from the preloader main menu, then went into settings and picked the option to boot into the file instead of the system menu....works great
smile.gif

rwilts

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tha mans right - just installed boot.dol for 1.5 and then choose - boot from file and it went straight into loader - NICE

data0002

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
delta123 said:
it works with the ultimate loader. make sure your config.txt etc. are in the root of your cd card along with the dol file.

Hi Delta123. i tryed moving ultimate loader dol (7.3(1.5)) and the two txt files to the root, when run from preloader (0.29) i get a code dump

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm thinking of setting up my Wii like that too.
I'm using the loader from the WiiShizza thread. It reads stuff from SD (like background, covers and other settings). How would that work?
Would that dol run directly as autoboot or should I extract the dol from a forwarder channel and use that as autoboot?

data0002

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
kedest said:
I'm thinking of setting up my Wii like that too.
I'm using the loader from the WiiShizza thread. It reads stuff from SD (like background, covers and other settings). How would that work?
Would that dol run directly as autoboot or should I extract the dol from a forwarder channel and use that as autoboot?

I would like to know as well

rwilts

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
From todays experience - booting into loader dol makes it work as normal - reads all stuff of sd card as required.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
rwilts said:
From todays experience - booting into loader dol makes it work as normal - reads all stuff of sd card as required.

How does the dol know where to read the files then? Normally, when launched through HBC or forwarder, the directory is passed as an argument so the loader will know where to look.

rwilts

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I had not bothered to look into forwarders so cannot comment.

But simply what I have done is use preloader to install the original boot.dol file (hbc) into NAND. Then told preloader to boot into file at start up. I have tried two different loaders and both worked perfectly- including reading box art from sd card.

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
data0002 said:
delta123 said:
it works with the ultimate loader. make sure your config.txt etc. are in the root of your cd card along with the dol file.

Hi Delta123. i tryed moving ultimate loader dol (7.3(1.5)) and the two txt files to the root, when run from preloader (0.29) i get a code dump

make sure you install the dol not run it. running it always code dums for me too, but install then restart and let it boot directly to the file works like a treat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead