Hacking Use One, Not Both...?

Arcane Ether

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I start, please note that I did use the Search function before posting this Topic - for reasons unknown to me, this site's Search function never gives me the topic I'm looking for.

Anyway...

I've seen a lot of Topics and Posts mentioning that in order to get the R4DS's cheat functions to work properly, one must use ONLY ONE of the two files CHEAT.dat or USERCHEAT.dat, else a slew of problems arise.

I've done just that, yet, I get no codes appearing at all, whether I use CHEAT.dat or USERCHEAT.dat alone. Weirdly enough, when I use BOTH files, all my cheats appear and work fine - except for one game.

Chrono Trigger DS.

The codes appear, but they crash the game - white screen everytime.

I Searched the Forums for an answer and found three methods, but none of them worked.
I'm using the Yasu Kernal Mod, Version 1.18, and the Patched Chrono Trigger DS (US).
The game has been playing fine otherwise; no glitches, no errors, no lock-ups; it's just that I can't boot the game with codes on.

All I really want is a Infinite Gold code to load up on Megalixirs, and a Quick Level Gain code, so I finally beat the Dream Devourer and see that new ending. She keeps kicking my a$$! lol.
I've got the codes themselves already from the 12/11/08 update here on the site, but it's booting problem I need solved.

...it would be nice if there was an "Error Log" on the Forum, with all known problems condensed into a single thread, one for each game. It sure would help the n00b promblem.

Master_SL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chrono trigger will freeze if you do not use the piracy hack.
The game has multiple checkpoints that will cause the game to remain stuck on the time portals or on a white screen.

As for your cheat files, its USRCHEAT.DAT
Not user @_@

As for the actual issue try formatting the card using the 2.0 SD formatter.

Arcane Ether

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Master_SL said:
Chrono trigger will freeze if you do not use the piracy hack.

I have used the Piracy Hack, still nothing.

And pardon my typo, you're correct, it's USRCHEAT.dat.
Either way - if I use just one file, either one, no codes appear.
If I use both, I get my codes. Why is that? Shouldn't it work the other way around?

As for YSMenu, I cannot find a download for the pre-constructed R4 files, just the tutorial on making them. I work ten-hour shifts, so I haven't the time to build my own.

Heck, I barely have time for gaming, which is why I love my R4.
Nothing better than a little portable-gaming between work shifts.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
its a limitation of the R4 and its CLONES its a case of TOO MANY CHEATS IN 1 FILE!

answer/solution is to use the CHEAT(UE).DAT file this has the Chinese/Jap cheats removed so will work better
smile.gif

Arcane Ether

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kobykaan said:
its a limitation of the R4 and its CLONES its a case of TOO MANY CHEATS IN 1 FILE!

answer/solution is to use the CHEAT(UE).DAT file this has the Chinese/Jap cheats removed so will work better
smile.gif

I think not. I customized my Cheat List by removing everything that was not (U)nited States.
That includes the (E)urope, (J)apan, (G)erman, and (I)taly and the rare (L) codes. (What region is L, anyway?)

I also removed all the codes for games I know I'll never play - like the Barbie and Zack & Cody games, and such.
That means my Cheat List has fewer than one thousand titles. Far fewer.

Unless the CHEAT.dat file I'm using (in combination with my customized USRCHEAT.dat) is pushing it past the limit, my list length should not be a problem.

Plus, the cheats for Chrono Trigger are appearing, they are there on the list, it's just that white screen that appears whenever I use any of them, with or without the Anti-Piracy Hack.

Arcane Ether

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kobykaan said:
as above and advised somewhere in NARIN'S cheat thread ONLY use the CHEAT(UE).DAT file and NOT BOTH!

and it should work
smile.gif

Yes, you see, that's exactly the problem, hence the Topic Title "Use One, Not Both".
If I use both CHEAT.dat and USRCHEAT.dat, my codes do appear and work fine for all other games, but not Chrono Trigger.
If I use just one, either one, nothing appears - at all! Not for Chrono Trigger, not for any games.

It seems to me to be a anomaly of sorts. Using both is not supposed to work, but for me, it does and I cannot explain why.

Synchromatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When you say you only use one, do you mean that you only have that in your folder, and not the other? If so, then put the other file in the folder, and make it a blank file.

If not, try using R4YSauto, it's an automatic program that creates YSMenu files that work for the R4. Cheats for Ryuusei no Rockman 3 didn't show up for me (despite having the correct ID), and when I changed the firmware, they showed up.

Arcane Ether

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reru said:
When you say you only use one, do you mean that you only have that in your folder, and not the other? If so, then put the other file in the folder, and make it a blank file.

If not, try using R4YSauto, it's an automatic program that creates YSMenu files that work for the R4. Cheats for Ryuusei no Rockman 3 didn't show up for me (despite having the correct ID), and when I changed the firmware, they showed up.

I'm normally using the CHEAT.dat that came with my original download of the 1.18 firmware from R4DS.com, before the site went down.
If I try to edit that one with the R4CCE Program, it tells me the file is corrupt and won't open it for editing.
So, I used R4CCE to create my own custom list by starting with the full list from this site, then removing what I didn't need.

I saved that edited list as an R4 database, named CHEAT.dat. Used it, nothing appeared.
I renamed the file "USRCHEAT.dat", then put the original "corrupted" CHEAT.dat in the folder with it, and everything started working - until Chrono Trigger.

Of course, as I mentioned above, the Chrono Trigger Cheats are appearing, they just lock up the game upon loading.

As for R4YSauto, have you a link for download? The search function on this site doesn't agree with me, lol.

Synchromatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's the link for R4YSauto.

I'm not so sure about the locking up though. It could be a cheat problem or something wrong with the game. However, try downloading the USERcheat.dat file from the database, and make a new CHEAT.dat with notepad, and leave it blank.

agoul31

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
for me using the r4's built in cheat code running action replay cheats, i have ALWAYS used both of them. the only cheats that haven't worked on some of my games were cheats where it tried to change a large number of things e.g pokemon, full pokedex. try finding a cheat for chrono trigger that only runs when u press L+R ingame, or some other buttons.

Arcane Ether

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huzzah! My problem is solved at last!
...although, the answer deserves a face/palm.

Turns out, I've been using a patched version of the Chrono Trigger ROM this entire time.
nyanya.gif

Too impatient to wait for a chance to dump the ROM myself, I got my copy from a friend.
This friend neglected to tell me that it was a patched version.

This minor edit changed the Game ID, making the codes incorrect, and caused the game to lock-up upon boot.

So, I dumped a fresh copy of the ROM, and now everything works fine.

Thank you all for your help! And now to finally kick the Dream Devourer's a$$!
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.