theone964

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone.
I have been updating my networking and i recently changed some things to support everyones need in the house but what this did is took my hard drive with all my backups, music, videos.

I am not worried about the music or videos, because i have WiiMC installed and the hard drive that had the stuff on it is in another PC that will be on 24/7.

Here is my problem now...i dont have any other hard drives left and i would like to save some $ if i could by not having to buy yet another HDD. Since I'm going to have a PC on 24/7 i would like to be able to get away without having an extra external drive suck up even more power.

So here's what i was thinking (finally)...

Would it be possible to hook the Wii via USB to my PC and use the HDD in my PC to play my backups on my Wii

I know its a challenge or most likely impossible, but think about it, it would be cool not having to have an external plugged up to the wii making it look ugly with an extra box next to the sleek shiny machine

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Metoroid0

Aijelsop

Question Asker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be possible... but then again, I would have NO clue how to do it. I have a USB to USB cord, which could work, but that's probably the only way you could. Find a USB to USB cord and see from there.

theone964

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aijelsop said:
It might be possible... but then again, I would have NO clue how to do it. I have a USB to USB cord, which could work, but that's probably the only way you could. Find a USB to USB cord and see from there.

Already have one of those...my old case was USB to USB (never seen another case like that though LOL)....Plugged it up nothing happens...PC doesnt reconise Wii and vice versa

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It isn't a good idea to simply plug to USB hosts (like a Wii and a standard USB port on PC) with a cable, because the difference in the electric potential can fry one oder both USB controllers. (USB network cables are different, they have electronic that deals with that).
To make this work you'll need a USB client controller card for your PC, but they are pretty hard to find. I think they are only sold bundled in USB device devkits. And of course you'll need software that talks to the Wii like it was a USB HDD.
So all in all simply buying a new HDD is probalby cheaper.

Hope you didn't fry anything when you tried connecting both.

theone964

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gabelvampir said:
It isn't a good idea to simply plug to USB hosts (like a Wii and a standard USB port on PC) with a cable, because the difference in the electric potential can fry one oder both USB controllers. (USB network cables are different, they have electronic that deals with that).
To make this work you'll need a USB client controller card for your PC, but they are pretty hard to find. I think they are only sold bundled in USB device devkits. And of course you'll need software that talks to the Wii like it was a USB HDD.
So all in all simply buying a new HDD is probalby cheaper.

Hope you didn't fry anything when you tried connecting both.

Ah i'll just have to do that then..no nothing fried ...was using a laptop so the lower power output probably helped with that
smile.gif
. Another reason is because I have like 3 Wii's in the house...if they connected to the PC then the other Wii's could connect to the computers sitting next to them in the other rooms, and I would be able to just use 1 central Hard Drive to store all my backups. The other Wii's could connect to other PC's on my network to grab the Games wanted.

It would save me the hassle of having 3 external HDD's with exactly the same content on each one. I wish the games could be loaded from a PC just like how WiiMc lets you load your music/ movies to all your Wii's via your network...Ah Dreaming LOL

shadowtroop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you buy 3 WODEs with the wifi dongles then you could do that. But that is even more expensive (1 WODE + Dongle = 110$)

theone964

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shadowtroop said:
If you buy 3 WODEs with the wifi dongles then you could do that. But that is even more expensive (1 WODE + Dongle = 110$)

Thats like a modchip though..didnt want to hard mod the Wii's ....Nieces will just have to keep hooking up the externals i give them to my central comp...might have to figure out a script or program that will sync the backup folder to their drives when they hook them up so they dont mess anything up on my Ubuntu box.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: