Hacking USBLoaderGX and EmuNand black screen

inb4tehlulz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to get EmuNand working off USB with the latest version of USBLoaderGX (r1218). I'm running 4.1U, installed the IOS's that ModMii instructed to do so. I can run Gamecube games and Wii games fine off the HD. It's formatted into two partions, both of which are FAT32 with 32k clusters. Wads were extracted from original NAND dump. Wads worked fine when re-installed with WAD manager and played on real nand.

What I did: Attempt 1

Dumped from BootMii to SD card.
Clean Format on EMUNAND partition.
Used a tool from Triiforce guide to dump key and extract nand to folder.
Used ShowMiiWads to Create Common Key
Used ShowMiiWads to install wads to NAND.
loaded folder onto EMUNAND partition
Changed custom paths to point to folder

Games showed up on USB Loader GX, but when attempting to load, just returned to homebrew channel.

Attempt 2

Clean Format on EMUNAND partition.
Full Dump inside USBLoaderGX to NAND folder
Reset Wii.
Attempt to install WAD through USBLoaderGX.
Error message I couldn't read because in half a second a popup that said the file was 100% done covers it, Wii locks up. Have to hard reset.
Upon reset have title code of WAD, but no picture, no art when selected, and locks up Wii when trying to load.

Attempt 3

Clean Format on EMUNAND partition
Full dump inside USBLoaderGX to NAND folder.
Plug HD into PC.
Load ShowMiiWads and point to NAND folder.
Install WADS through ShowMiiWads.
Load HD up on USBLoaderGX
Games show up, load into black screen and have to hard reset Wii.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried using Full Emulation, and partial emulation on about 5 different titles (Mario Kart 64, both Zelda's for 64, Harvest moon SNES and Zelda for NES)

Leo Alves

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Where's how i got my EmuNAND to work on USB Loader GX, if you wanna to try:

Dump and Extract
1: With BootMii i dumped my NAND (actually, i used the Nand backup i have done with Bootmii the first time i hacked my Wii, before i installing cIOS and other things)
2: Created common key on ShowMiiWads
3: Extracted my NAND Backup with ShowMiiWads, wich created the folder: nand-extracteda
4: Renamed the folder 'nand-extracteda' to 'nand'
5: put the 'Nand' folder on the root of my SD Card

Installing WADS
6: Opened the NAND in ShowMiiWads and installed the Wads from the games i wanted, and installed cIOS 249 to use with SaveGameManager

On Wii
7: Opened uLoader 5.1E (that's right, uLoader)
8: On uLoader choose a game, go to ''Configure'' then ''WiiWare option'' and finally select ''Force Content Update''
9: Back to Homebrew Channel and Opened USB Loader GX 3.0 r1217 (r1218 give me code dump errors)
10: Changed the Emunand path to sd:/nand
11: Select to show only emunand channels
12: Select to display as Channel Grid
13: Put the Wii Shop Channel music on USB Loader GX menu (just to looks cool)
14: And it's everything working

You may ask, ''why you have to use the outdated uLoader?''
I don't really know, but my emunand games only worked on Usb Loader GX after i used this ''Force content update option'' from uLoader. Also, sometimes the wads works better if i install then with uLoader than with showmiiwads or usb loader gx.

6r79.png

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Which cIOS version are you using?

d2x cIOS v8 [base56] is good.
d2x cIOS v10 should work
d2x cIOS v10-alt has less EmuNAND compatibility.
v8 is the one you should try.

boot the loader, verify that the loaded IOS is d2x (go to Settings > Credit, and loot at the top right)
Features > Dump NAND
Feature > Install WADs should work. (it works for most/(all other?) users)

You need "EmuNAND Channel: FULL emulation" if you launch channels installed on EmuNAND.
(EmuNAND Save is for Wii games, not channels).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe newer version of USBLoaderGX is not working with older d2x? (v4-v7)
But all d2x should work.

I tested only with d2x v8 and cIOS rev17. Other users tested with v10 and reported it working fine.
only v9 and v10-alt should have issue.

inb4tehlulz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installed V8, gave it a quick try and it didn't load, just went back to homebrew, so I wiped the partition reformated it fat32 with 32k clusters, went back to USBLoaderGX and dumped nand again, was able to install a WAD from USBLoader this time, so did that, tried launching it and it just reloaded USBLoaderGX. Currently running Rev1218 IOS249 REV 21008, D2x v8final base56.

edit* Also tried installing wad in ShowMiiWads and same result.

inb4tehlulz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another update. I tried redoing everything, and using the SD card. I did a fresh install of USBLoaderGX. I used my original bootmii dump and ShowMiiWads to extract it. Installed the WADS onto it, and then loaded everything up fresh and launched with default settings... and it worked off the SD card. I copied everything to the USB drive, and changed the folders and tried to launch it, and nothing. Then I decided to try getting rid of Partition 2 on the USB drive and only having one big partition, and suddenly it worked flawlessly. So it would appear the biggest problem was it didn't like reading USB2. Since I didn't need the second partition (TBH I didn't want it, it was part of either flawed or out of date advice I'd read elsewhere) I'm going to consider this solved for me.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's strange that the second partition didn't work, I thought d2x added support for EmuNAND on multiple partitions.
Thanks for reporting it.
Maybe there's a bug in USBLoaderGX, when booting emuNAND and selecting the partition. I'll add it to the "possible bug" list I'll have to check one day.

I suppose you wouldn't want to try again with another loader and second partition? Wiiflow/Might Channel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/OLqeHmZp-Wc?si=gnlLbzZEgWiNp5E5