USB power-off hack

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gloscherrybomb, May 1, 2009.

May 1, 2009

USB power-off hack by gloscherrybomb at 6:14 PM (2,465 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. gloscherrybomb
    OP

Member gloscherrybomb GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Is there a hack which would shut off an external usb drive (so shut of power to the ports) when using the power-off button on the wiimote? (i.e. going to standby).

Currently I press the power button on the wiimote and then have to walk over to the wii and disconnect the usb drive, which defeats the point of remote shutdown!

I guess this would work best a preloader hack or something similar? It does power off if you hold the power button on the wii (red light) but id like this with the yellow light

2. wiiman123

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand

3. gloscherrybomb
    OP

United Kingdom
    I dont think you understood my post... my usb drive uses power from the wii. It loses power on the red light, but on orange light standby the wii still provides power to the ports, I'd like something which stops usb power on the orange light. (i.e. when you use the wiimote to turn the wii off)

4. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    I just use preloaders ignore standby option, so it turns off instead but I get to kepp WC24

5. mmik

Newcomer mmik Member

United States
    Disable Wiiconnect24/standby mode. It's bad for your wii, anyway.

6. gloscherrybomb
    OP

United Kingdom
    Interesting, I'll look that up!

7. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Next time, make a better Title, at least with something like this: "?", called a questionmark...it's irritating... [​IMG]

Anyways: If you don't want WiiConnect24, do it like suggested: Preloader ---> Ignore standby...If you want WiiConnect24, forget it, no Solution, and there won't be one...it's so useless...why do you want that? Live with it, there's no way to enable WiiConnect24 and disable the power...The Wii has power in Standby, no way around this... [​IMG]

8. gloscherrybomb
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK if its not possible fine. I figured it may be possible to isolate the usb ports.

Could somebody post the 4.0E preloader hack for ignore standby?

cwstjdenobs states that he still got to keep wiiconnect24?

9. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    First: No need for a Hack..it's under Seetings in the Menu...

Second: There's no Way that you recieve News (like News, Letters, etc) while the Wii has no power, and this happens if you ignore standby...so he's wrong, if he's stating that.

Third: Isolate the USB-Hubs? For such a stupid, useless thing? You know how much can go worse here, and I think you'll have to mod via Hardware...no way via Software...come on..think, please... [​IMG]

10. gloscherrybomb
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well pardon me for not being an uber-wii modding genius.

Where abouts does hacks.ini go on the nand because preloader doesnt recognise my sd card.

11. gloscherrybomb
    OP

United Kingdom
    Sorry stupid question.... I thought you could add it to nand through ftpii but obviously not.

12. IOS37

Newcomer IOS37 Advanced Member

United States
    Says who?
    Let me guess you think the wii is going to over heat in standby mode?

13. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    Maybe I should of said you get to keep most of the functionality. Ok you won't get the drive led pulsing with mail, but who uses the wii for mail anyway

14. HaTaX

Member HaTaX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Actually it can cause overheating issues. In WiiConnect 24 mode the system still has power, but the fans are not on. If you have it in an enclosed area or an area with poor ventilation you can overheat the GPU in the Wii and you will have little dots or specks that start to appear on the screen.

I'll say that I've seen this happen first hand with a friends Wii he kept closed up in a TV stand. It still works fine and plays games, but there are some areas of the screen with permanent dots that are present in the system menu as well as any games. Sometimes the dots move or flicker, but they're obviously there. I used to run WiiConnect 24, but have since turned it off just to be safe.

Doesn't happen to everyone, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.......

15. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    why would you need preloader.. just turn off wiiconnect24 in your normal settings menu! then it's done, and your usb drive will power down along with the wii!

16. TheWiiNinja

Member TheWiiNinja GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Because with the standby turned off, there are a few things you can't access, like the Weather Channel. But if you use the setting in Preloader, it turns it off but you can still use those things.

17. IOS37

Newcomer IOS37 Advanced Member

United States
    If you are so scared that the wii can overheat in standby mode which I still doubt then do the fan on during standby mode mod.
    I have yet to feel the wii get warm after many of hours of play and the fan it has on it is a joke.

18. penetr8or

Member penetr8or Advanced Member

Denmark
    I really don't see why it shouldn't be possible to do this with a hack in preloader..
    You don't need hardware modding to do this..
    Think about it.. Many computers are delivering power to their USB ports when turned off (but still plugged in). Usually all you need is a minor update to make it stop.
    Also I've experienced the opposite.. A computer which, after an update, started keeping up power to usb while turned off.

The Asus EEE still powers USB when turned off and running on batteries (but now while charger is plugged in. Can anyone say design flaw?)

If anyone were to figure this out, I believe alot of people would be very grateful.. Me included, as I was planning on getting a 2.5" HDD for the wii for the very reason that I'm tired of having to go and unplug my HDD once I turn off my wii [​IMG]

19. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    mine turns off when the wii turns off the ones that run on a separate power supply are the only ones effected.

20. Skater4599

Member Skater4599 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I would love to see an option for this as well, i have a maxtor 250gb drive, i installed preloader and use the ignore wiconnect24 option and that works great when i shut down from system menu, but if im in HBC or emulator or anything else, it shuts down and keeps wiconnect24 on (yellow light) D: