Hacking USB power-off hack

gloscherrybomb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a hack which would shut off an external usb drive (so shut of power to the ports) when using the power-off button on the wiimote? (i.e. going to standby).

Currently I press the power button on the wiimote and then have to walk over to the wii and disconnect the usb drive, which defeats the point of remote shutdown!

I guess this would work best a preloader hack or something similar? It does power off if you hold the power button on the wii (red light) but id like this with the yellow light

gloscherrybomb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
wiiman123 said:
no. don't expect one.

You can use a 2.5" enclosure that uses the power from the wii. Turns on and off when the Wii does.

I dont think you understood my post... my usb drive uses power from the wii. It loses power on the red light, but on orange light standby the wii still provides power to the ports, I'd like something which stops usb power on the orange light. (i.e. when you use the wiimote to turn the wii off)

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Next time, make a better Title, at least with something like this: "?", called a questionmark...it's irritating...
dry.gif

Anyways: If you don't want WiiConnect24, do it like suggested: Preloader ---> Ignore standby...If you want WiiConnect24, forget it, no Solution, and there won't be one...it's so useless...why do you want that? Live with it, there's no way to enable WiiConnect24 and disable the power...The Wii has power in Standby, no way around this...
rolleyes.gif

gloscherrybomb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK if its not possible fine. I figured it may be possible to isolate the usb ports.

Could somebody post the 4.0E preloader hack for ignore standby?

cwstjdenobs states that he still got to keep wiiconnect24?

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
gloscherrybomb said:
OK if its not possible fine. I figured it may be possible to isolate the usb ports.

First: No need for a Hack..it's under Seetings in the Menu...

Second: There's no Way that you recieve News (like News, Letters, etc) while the Wii has no power, and this happens if you ignore standby...so he's wrong, if he's stating that.

Third: Isolate the USB-Hubs? For such a stupid, useless thing? You know how much can go worse here, and I think you'll have to mod via Hardware...no way via Software...come on..think, please...
rolleyes.gif

gloscherrybomb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well pardon me for not being an uber-wii modding genius.

Where abouts does hacks.ini go on the nand because preloader doesnt recognise my sd card.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Blue-K said:
gloscherrybomb said:

First: No need for a Hack..it's under Seetings in the Menu...

Second: There's no Way that you recieve News (like News, Letters, etc) while the Wii has no power, and this happens if you ignore standby...so he's wrong, if he's stating that.

Third: Isolate the USB-Hubs? For such a stupid, useless thing? You know how much can go worse here, and I think you'll have to mod via Hardware...no way via Software...come on..think, please...
rolleyes.gif

Maybe I should of said you get to keep most of the functionality. Ok you won't get the drive led pulsing with mail, but who uses the wii for mail anyway

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOS37 said:
Says who?
Let me guess you think the wii is going to over heat in standby mode?

Actually it can cause overheating issues. In WiiConnect 24 mode the system still has power, but the fans are not on. If you have it in an enclosed area or an area with poor ventilation you can overheat the GPU in the Wii and you will have little dots or specks that start to appear on the screen.

I'll say that I've seen this happen first hand with a friends Wii he kept closed up in a TV stand. It still works fine and plays games, but there are some areas of the screen with permanent dots that are present in the system menu as well as any games. Sometimes the dots move or flicker, but they're obviously there. I used to run WiiConnect 24, but have since turned it off just to be safe.

Doesn't happen to everyone, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.......

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
why would you need preloader.. just turn off wiiconnect24 in your normal settings menu! then it's done, and your usb drive will power down along with the wii!

TheWiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
manias said:
why would you need preloader.. just turn off wiiconnect24 in your normal settings menu! then it's done, and your usb drive will power down along with the wii!
Because with the standby turned off, there are a few things you can't access, like the Weather Channel. But if you use the setting in Preloader, it turns it off but you can still use those things.

IOS37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HaTaX said:
IOS37 said:
Says who?
Let me guess you think the wii is going to over heat in standby mode?

Actually it can cause overheating issues. In WiiConnect 24 mode the system still has power, but the fans are not on. If you have it in an enclosed area or an area with poor ventilation you can overheat the GPU in the Wii and you will have little dots or specks that start to appear on the screen.

I'll say that I've seen this happen first hand with a friends Wii he kept closed up in a TV stand. It still works fine and plays games, but there are some areas of the screen with permanent dots that are present in the system menu as well as any games. Sometimes the dots move or flicker, but they're obviously there. I used to run WiiConnect 24, but have since turned it off just to be safe.

Doesn't happen to everyone, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.......

If you are so scared that the wii can overheat in standby mode which I still doubt then do the fan on during standby mode mod.
I have yet to feel the wii get warm after many of hours of play and the fan it has on it is a joke.

penetr8or

Trophies
XP
Country
I really don't see why it shouldn't be possible to do this with a hack in preloader..
You don't need hardware modding to do this..
Think about it.. Many computers are delivering power to their USB ports when turned off (but still plugged in). Usually all you need is a minor update to make it stop.
Also I've experienced the opposite.. A computer which, after an update, started keeping up power to usb while turned off.

The Asus EEE still powers USB when turned off and running on batteries (but now while charger is plugged in. Can anyone say design flaw?)

If anyone were to figure this out, I believe alot of people would be very grateful.. Me included, as I was planning on getting a 2.5" HDD for the wii for the very reason that I'm tired of having to go and unplug my HDD once I turn off my wii
frown.gif

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love to see an option for this as well, i have a maxtor 250gb drive, i installed preloader and use the ignore wiconnect24 option and that works great when i shut down from system menu, but if im in HBC or emulator or anything else, it shuts down and keeps wiconnect24 on (yellow light) D:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1