USB Ports

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by MrDillDough, Jul 11, 2009.

Jul 11, 2009

USB Ports by MrDillDough at 11:59 AM (832 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. MrDillDough
    OP

Member MrDillDough GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I'm just wondering if it is possible for a USB port of a computer to be infected with a virus.

It sounded weird to me but I think it might be a problem for me, if it actually exists.

Any help is appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Ireland 1

Member Ireland 1 GBAtemps resident Irish

Ireland
    yes some virius use certain ports to infect other devices that would be connected to the computer they need to have memory though usb mouses and key boards cant be infected as they have no memory but a usb memory stick can be infected or anthing else wuth memory

3. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Also be aware that usb memory sticks can infect your computer if it has come from another computer that had a virus. It can go both ways. [​IMG]

Always a good idea to have an up to date decent virus scanner.

4. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    a port cannot be infected, no, that is impossible.

that said, usb memory sticks can infect you with a virus, and many virii will infect memory sticks

5. MrDillDough
    OP

Member MrDillDough GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    What about files on a DVD? Could they pose a risk to my computer and be infected with viruses?

6. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

A malicious file can be on any storage medium really (including of course DVDs and USB drives), but they can't do anything at all until you choose to run them. The exception being if you have your computer set to automatically run AUTORUN.EXE, than any ole malicious piece of software could be run (without asking you) simply by renaming it that.

7. sparky28000

Member sparky28000 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    "fujack worm" is a virus that wil copy itself to an usb drive as soon as there is an usb device conected some people claim they come with stuff from dealextreme (drivers cd's)