USB port electric spark

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by pustal, Jun 17, 2016.

1. pustal
    OP

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    Many times when I approach a USB cable from the Wii U ports I see a tiny electrical spark coming from beneath the ports. Should I be concerned?

2. 9thSage

9thSage GBAtemp Fan

Aug 8, 2008
    United States
    ...I'm not sure, but one thing I will say...I don't think I've ever seen that happen on my WiiU.

pustal likes this.
  3. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    That just sounds like static electricity.

4. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Floating grounds will cause this, I have an arc between my Bluray player (as my receiver is earth grounded and the bluray player is floating ground) and the HDMI cable when I go to plug it in

It is fine once the HDMI cable is plugged in the bluray player is now tied to the same ground as the receiver via the HDMI cable.

I am going to assume your situation is the same as no damage is done (so far) and the Wii U works correctly.

Last edited by driverdis, Jun 29, 2016
  5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The port is improperly grounded. Most times it's no cause for panic, however chances are that the port is either improperly soldered onto the board, the trace that connects it to the ground is damaged or there's some other hardware flaw causing it. Alternatively, whatever you're connecting the Wii U to is improperly grounded - if it has an independent power supply, that could also lead to sparks on both ends.