Hardware USB On to Go+ Harddrive - HANDHELD Experience Thread

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
A year could be, but years i doubt. It just takes a while to happen but eventually it will with non powered drives, unless using an ssd wich is flash or a y-cable or a powered case

Thanks for the information but I will keep taking advantage of it as less than 1A isn't a problem at all.

Reactions: kumikochan

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I also think that an SSD could benefit from the upgrade more than you think.

How much do you actually need for a Switch hard drive? Maybe 500GB? Those are cheap now. If you can get an improvement of at least 10% between loading times then IMO it's worth it.
Lmao 500GB? stick to a micro SD sir. This harddisk update is mainly intended for large storage.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WD is definitely the way to go. I've had 60 or so WD drives over the last 10 yrs and only 1 has failed. I've had 12 Seagate drives and 5 of them have failed so I'll never buy one of their drives again.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I was also thinking an SSD would probably be better as if they make it to where you can connect it to the device in portable mode you could easily attach it to the back of the device and not have to worry about damaging the drive + faster performance.
I'm on the total opposite as I have\had 11 WD HDDs failures not even counting the old IDE, they were all WD black or Scorpio black the fastests...

And I can also add more 3 SanDisk Ultra A1 128GB that were defective and they are also a Western digital company lol...

My PC only started working when I moved to Seagate 2TB, it's still going strong.

But I also had Seagate failures in the past on like 2005 models or around that, but all the WD failures were from 2011 - 2014...

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A year could be, but years i doubt. It just takes a while to happen but eventually it will with non powered drives, unless using an ssd wich is flash or a y-cable or a powered case

What? I've been doing that for 10+ years or longer...let alone we are talking about USB C here, lol. If you are worried about a non powered hdd, what are your thoughts on charging, haha...
If anything, you should be concerned with burning up the HDD, which is actually a thing that happens.
This is silly at best, and just plain misinformation at worst.

If you burned USB ports with a 2.5" drive, you had some seriously garbage parts, or had other issues, i.e. this is completely anecdotal and shouldn't be spread as fact.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What? I've been doing that for 10+ years or longer...let alone we are talking about USB C here, lol. If you are worried about a non powered hdd, what are your thoughts on charging, haha...
If anything, you should be concerned with burning up the HDD, which is actually a thing that happens.
This is silly at best, and just plain misinformation at worst.

If you burned USB ports with a 2.5" drive, you had some seriously garbage parts, or had other issues, i.e. this is completely anecdotal and shouldn't be spread as fact.
No it's not. Usb ports burning out because of non powered hdd's is a thing. I don't care tho, if you want to risk frying your usb c port then be my guest. Don't come crying afterwards okay. On charging ? You do know that is an entirely different thing no ? There's a reason why 3.5 HDD's always come with a powered external case. But like i said if you want to use a 3.5 HDD non powered on your switch then be my guest just don't come crying afterwards that your port is fried

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it's not. Usb ports burning out because of non powered hdd's is a thing. I don't care tho, if you want to risk frying your usb c port then be my guest. Don't come crying afterwards okay. On charging ? You do know that is an entirely different thing no ? There's a reason why 3.5 HDD's always come with a powered external case. But like i said if you want to use a 3.5 HDD non powered on your switch then be my guest just don't come crying afterwards that your port is fried

What are you even talking about? This is utter nonsense.

Reactions: thaikhoa

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lmao 500GB? stick to a micro SD sir. This harddisk update is mainly intended for large storage.

Yeah, I'm at 1.8TB just for the NSPs alone... like they said, it doesn't make any sense lugging around a more expensive external 500GB SSD rather than buying a 400GB microSD card for $100...

Reactions: Chrisssj2
A

a9lh-1user

What are you even talking about? This is utter nonsense.

Maybe you should research before you post anything like this!
USB C ports and Cables are sometimes very "cheap" produced.
And we all know that Ninti allways use the cheapest components!
Now you will use a HDD on an USB C port that is cheap and not even only get data from A to B NO it also gets it power from it.

I'am not sherlock ..... but i can count 1 + 1 ;)

So next time try to research before you post stupid comment like yours!

Reactions: kumikochan

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Now you will use a HDD on an USB C port that is cheap and not even only get data from A to B NO it also gets it power from it.

As long as it works I don't care that much. If it burns things, all of us were already burned 10 days ago.

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This doesn't even make sense. You,much like this other guy, don't seem to understand how voltage works.
Do you realize the power draw from a 2.5" hdd is miniscule compared the voltage throughput of the devices core function, which is docking and charging? You have a base ignorance of voltage or the USB technology in general.
Here, do us all a favor and do some actual research yourself...Google USB port burned out from 2.5" HDD. I'll wait. Hint, it doesn't exist..in fact, the results offer up countless results that directly contradict what you are saying, and the danger is in burning out a connected device, not the port. Which I've already stated, had you bothered to actually read.
Also, brush up on that grammar, in addition to your fact checking, if you ever expect someone to take you seriously.

As long as it works I don't care that much. If it burns things, all of us were already burned 10 days ago.

Ignore these guys. The real danger is frying the hdd itself, as Switch was never intended to have anything other than the dock connected to it, so who knows what kind of backfeed voltage is happening.

Ofcourse it is, just don't come cry afterwards
So, you're admitting what you said was nonsense? Ok, then.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This doesn't even make sense. You,much like this other guy, don't seem to understand how voltage works.
Do you realize the power draw from a 2.5" hdd is miniscule compared the voltage throughput of the devices core function, which is docking and charging? You have a base ignorance of voltage or the USB technology in general.
Here, do us all a favor and do some actual research yourself...Google USB port burned out from 2.5" HDD. I'll wait. Hint, it doesn't exist..in fact, the results offer up countless results that directly contradict what you are saying, and the danger is in burning out a connected device, not the port. Which I've already stated, had you bothered to actually read.
Also, brush up on that grammar, in addition to your fact checking, if you ever expect someone to take you seriously.

Ignore these guys. The real danger is frying the hdd itself, as Switch was never intended to have anything other than the dock connected to it, so who knows what kind of backfeed voltage is happening.

So, you're admitting what you said was nonsense? Ok, then.
it does, you don't know what you're talking about. I for one had many usb ports burn out over the years before by using non powered cases, hubs and so forth. Again, don't come cry afterwards

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also don't go twisting what i said. I never said anything about 2.5 drives and was talking about 3.5 drives and yes you're full of shit def
This thread is about 2.5" HDDs connected to the Switch in handheld mode, lol. You can't even attach a 3.5" drive to usb without external power, smh. Just stfu already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?