USB On to Go+ Harddrive - HANDHELD Experience Thread

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Chrisssj2, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    So with the news of the SX OS having the abillity to load harddrives via USB docked. It seems it is also possible to load up harddrives via USB OTG in handheld mode.

Few things we need to find out now are :

- What is the limit on harddrives for using this feature Confirmed reports for 1TB. Will 4 or 5TB work however for example? You won't be able to fill it, but good to be future proof.
    - Any title limit on the switch? I have 450 games waiting to be installed (heard reports of users having 600 titles installed and were fine)
    - What effects will it have on power consumption using such harddrive
    - Is there an USB OTG cable that somehow features the support for charging and playing at the same time
    - What is the best way to use these harddrives to our switch? USB OTG cables can be finicky and break easily

I would assume a 2.5 HD would be best suited for the job. Cheapest one I could find is WD Elements Portable USB 3.0 4TB for 100 Euro.
    Personally had bad experiences with seagate and there are several reports with seagate having the highest failure rates. So make your own choice.

What also is important is how big, thick and or heavy these HDD's are. We need to find the smallest, thinnest and lightest HDD's out there so we can stick em to our handheld mode switch with some elastics and not notice it.

We will need real life results here with hardware, please report your findings and suggestions here.

MitsukiUchiwa likes this.
  2. LuigiXL

LuigiXL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 19, 2016
    I love this thread already! :yayswitch: Just sayin' :switch:

3. Chrisssj2
    OP

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
  4. Matt7402

Matt7402 Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2018
    United States
    USA
    WD is definitely the way to go. I've had 60 or so WD drives over the last 10 yrs and only 1 has failed. I've had 12 Seagate drives and 5 of them have failed so I'll never buy one of their drives again.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I was also thinking an SSD would probably be better as if they make it to where you can connect it to the device in portable mode you could easily attach it to the back of the device and not have to worry about damaging the drive + faster performance.

Chrisssj2 likes this.
  5. Chrisssj2
    OP

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Agreed on WD. Ive had a few WD drives failed too but seagate failed more on me or had issues. Won't buy seagate ever again.
    SSD for that size would be 10x as expensive. While you don't need 4TB SSD. a 1 TB SSD would be too few cost alot more. 2TB and up is unaffordable.
    Also I think it's overkill. you don't need that speed. Micro SD is not an ssd.

6. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 3, 2012
    United States
  7. Matt7402

Matt7402 Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2018
    United States
    USA
    I don't see why not. WD 2TB Elements should be fine.

8. Sticker

Sticker Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2018
    Vietnam
    We are going to portable so HDD not good choice on this case, SSD price is going down very fast, currently I saw Intel 660p 512GB only 100$, the problem is I didn't find a box NVMe to USB C yet, With this one we have fast SSD, already type C supported, don't have to worry about bad sector, not use to much power.

9. kingmercian

kingmercian Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Or just grab an M.2 SSD and throw it in a M.2 to usb type C enclosure.

ModderFokker619 likes this.
  10. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2015
    I've just used a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD - it's very fast, silent and uses hardly any power compared to a HDD. Although it's 1TB - that's more than enough for me, as I can always store games on my NAS and put them on the SSD whenever I want a change. Also with SSD - far less chance of causing any damage/data loss + the drive has a 5 year warranty.

11. miesssiee

miesssiee Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2015
    Netherlands
  12. MisterMue

MisterMue Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2013
    Germany
  13. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
  14. Boostnek9

Boostnek9 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2017
    Belize
    I have a 3TB WD Ultra 2.5" and it doesn't work. Titles keep flashing on the SXOS games screen.

Formatted exFat and I even tried to partition it to 2TB and still same.

15. fragged

fragged GBAtemp Regular

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Probably drawing too much power, have you tried using a Y USB cable to give it more juice?

16. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Can't use a y usb cable with handheld mode. Could probably use a externally powered drive, but id be wary of doing that.

17. a9lh-1user

a9lh-1user GBAtemp Fan

Apr 1, 2016
    Germany
    ModderFokker619 likes this.
  18. Chrisssj2
    OP

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    SSD is overkill my friend....... But if you want to drop 10x as much money on it be my guest. 512GB? youre kidding right there micro SD cards that big.
    The advantage of HDD is the big storage size.
    And If you want the size of an HDD on SSD. not affordable. and not worth it IMO.

solitaire4eva likes this.
  19. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    I also think that an SSD could benefit from the upgrade more than you think.

How much do you actually need for a Switch hard drive? Maybe 500GB? Those are cheap now. If you can get an improvement of at least 10% between loading times then IMO it's worth it.

20. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I'm gonna loves these posts later in the future about having burned out USB C ports making the switch useless.

210modz likes this.