USB Loader reboots Wii on start-up

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by MattWii, Sep 8, 2013.

1. MattWii
    OP

MattWii Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2013
    Last night I used ModMii to softmod my black PAL Wii and it all went well. I now have the Homebrew Channel and USB Loader on the system menu and today I've been looking into using a USB stick to run a game through USB Loader.

I managed to USB Loader working perfectly with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but ran into some problems when trying to add other games to the list. When I plugged the USB stick back into the PC, it required me to format the device before I could do anything. It is still formatted as FAT32, but now it won't work with USB Loader at all.

I've tried running ModMii's USB Loader setup + guide multiple times and I've attempted to format the USB stick several times too, but nothing is working. I also tried to update my USB Loader using ModMii and nothing has changed.

If I launch USB Loader, it shows up with a logo of a Wiimote and Wii text, but quickly turns black and resets the Wii. If the USB device is not plugged in, it takes longer for the screen to go black, but it still resets the Wii. I can launch it through the Homebrew channel and from there I am able to see the game grid, but it's a hassle to navigate through all of those menus to get to it.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    First of all, are you able to load backups off your USB stick when you go into your USB loader through the Homebrew Channel, or is that still a problem you're having? You said you're able to see the game grid. Use Wii Backup Manager to manage the backups on your USB stick.

Second, it sounds like the forwarder channel you are trying to use on your system menu doesn't work with whichever USB loader you have in your apps folder on your USB stick and/or SD card. Which USB backup loader are you even using?

3. MattWii
    OP

MattWii Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2013
    Yes, I am able to load backups off the USB stick through the Homebrew Channel. The loader is 'Configurable USB Loader', as recommended by ModMii.

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
  5. MattWii
    OP

MattWii Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2013
    hmm, interesting. There seems to be no mention of USBLoader in my apps folder. I have the following:

HackMii Installer
    IOS236 v5 MOD
    MMM
    Priiloader
    SIP

edit: So I guess I would nee to use the Priiloader-compatible version of the launcher you posted. Could you instruct me on how exactly to install it? Sorry to be a pain, I'm very new to this.

6. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    Get the latest cfg loader .dol file here and put it here- SD://apps/usbloader_cfg/boot.dol

It has to be in a folder named usbloader_cfg, and it has to be named boot.dol, and then the forwarder channel you're using will boot it. The rest of the cfg usb loader files go in SD://usb-loader (which I'd assume are already on your sd card).

While you're at it, you should get syscheck, make a report and post it. Here's an example report:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

7. MattWii
    OP

MattWii Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2013
    Thanks for the help Aractus & Lacius. Here is the syscheck:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

I'm not entirely sure how the Wii is accessing CFG USB Loader through the Homebrew Channel menu as I can't see any folders for it on my SD. The only real mention is in my WAD folder which includes:
    USBLoader(s)-ahbprot58-SD-USB-v12-IDCL.wad
    USBLoader(s)-ahbprot58-SD-USB-v12-IDCL-Forwarder Paths.txt

As far as I know, no files have been deleted since it was working properly and the only thing that changed was the formatting for the USB stick. The SD card features the following files/folders (excluding syscheck stuff):

private (folder)
    boot.elf
    bootmini.elf
    installer.log
    IOS36-64-v3351.wad
    apps (folder)
    WAD (folder)
    mmmconfig.txt

Edit: Adding the updated boot.dol file to the usbloader_cfg folder appears to work well. Thanks again!

8. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    Yeah Aractus has it - there should be an additional folder in the root along with the CFG folder in x:/apps.
    And if you're tired of troubleshooting, you could try USBLGX (I prefer it and there's only one folder :P).