USB Loader Not Reading my USB drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by jpmcruiser, Oct 13, 2012.

Oct 13, 2012
  1. jpmcruiser
    OP

Newcomer jpmcruiser Newbie

United States
    So because CFG wouldn't work (details here, if you can help, that would rock http://gbatemp.net/question-5076/configurable-usb-loader-stopped-working-before-wouldnt-install-games ) I downloaded ubs loader gx 3.0. I have all the d2x stuff (look at the link to see my prerequisites that I have), by the way.

So my 8gb dane elec usb drive (which I'm only using for now while I'm learning how to play backup games) can't be read by USB Loader GX. I keep getting the message "usb device not found switching to channel list mode" whenever USB Loader GX starts up. As far as I know, the drive formatted to fat32, but i'll keep trying with that (I'm a little unsure since my computers can still read it). According to this page ( http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List ) my drive should be compatible with the my Wii.

Also I formatted the drive with guiformat.

If anyone wants me to post a syscheck, please specify which syscheck you want me to use (1 or 2).

Please somebody help me with this.

2. jpmcruiser
    OP

United States
    bump, somebody, please answer me soon

3. jpmcruiser
    OP

United States
    Please? I'm not trying to bump too much, but it's been like three days since I posted this thread. Please?

4. Sly 3 4 me

Member Sly 3 4 me GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm not an expert in any manner, but it seems from your previous topic that it was working properly before trying to install Twilight Princess. Are you sure you're adding them to the USB correctly? Are you trying to run it through USB Loader GX with DiosMios or just as a wii game? As Twilight Princess is both a Gamecube and Wii game. As was mentioned in the other thread, I would recommend using modmii to completely mod your wii as if it had not been done before. Treat it as if this is the first time you're modding the wii, it will install everything you need if you follow the instructions. Once you have it re-softmodded, look up some guides on how to correctly execute and set the path for the games if you're running them as WBFS on the FAT32 USB in USB Loader GX.

ModMii for Windows. (Direct URL to Download). ModMii Homepage: http://modmii.zzl.org/home.html

You are using a Windows-based OS, correct? As it seems GUIFormat is for Windows. I'd recommend using something else for formatting too, such as EASEUS Partition Master. It works well and it will be needed if the answer to the above question of if you are attempting to play backups of Gamecube or Wii games is Gamecube.

5. jpmcruiser
    OP

United States

CFG stopped working when I used DOPMii and selected "Aply ES_Identify Patch to IOS36". Twilight Princess was not working before then, but CFG would open properly.

Also, it is the Wii version of Twilight Princess. I'm not going to get into the Dios Mios type stuff just yet.

And what exactly is ModMii? Is it a program for windows or is it a homebrew app? And how do I use it? I don't even understand half of the things on the page. I'm not interested in downgrading my Wii or anything (I am currently at 4.3U). At this point I am only intereested in making my Wii able to play backups and to be able to play games from an external drive.

On more thing to note; on USB Loader GX, I felt like it is worth noting something. It seems to notice the USB drive (as there is never any timer of any sort), but it just goes straight to the message ("usb device not found switching to channel list mode"). This seems to be different from all the other cases I've seen across the internet (where I am assuming that the timer starts and the usb is never even detected).

Also, thanks for helping me out. Please help me to make more sense of these things.

6. Sly 3 4 me

Member Sly 3 4 me GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Which program are you using to add the Wii backups to your flash drive? Are they being added as WBFS files to a WBFS folder that is on the root of your flash drive? ModMii is a program that helps to update your Wii(Or downgrade, but that isn't really needed as much since 4.3 works fine). It will update most of the files that are needed for you to play the latest Wii games through different back-up loaders.

Create a backup before doing this though. Do you know if you have BootMii installed as an IOS or as Boot2? If your Wii is newer then it may not have the ability to overwrite over Boot2 for Modmii. Do some searches to find if you have it set as Boot2 or as an IOS. Make sure you do a backup though. If you don't have either, the program opens a webpage with your specific settings and shows you how to create one.

Simply click the .Exe, extract it to your desktop. Check the first box and uncheck the others as those are through the Command Prompt. Run ModMiiSkin.exe. Put 'I Agree', select the first bubble for 'ModMii Wizard + Guide'. Select 'Yes' since you want your wii to have all the most current updates. Enter USA for the region and version 4.3. Select the first bubble for WiiBrand(Discless). Then enter your MAC Address from the Wii. Find it by going to the Wii channel loader main page, bottom left>Settings>Wii Settings>Second page>Internet>Console Information. You can also enter 'Help' into the box for a video of finding it. Tell it you want to stay on 4.3, select any of those bubbles if you want to update the channels, if not then just press continue. No need for themes, they are mostly safe, but there is a very slim chance it may brick your Wii, so don't bother. Tell it no for the loader since you know how to set that up mostly. It will create a .rar with your files. The webpage for your settings and a tutorial on how to them will open. The creation of the .Rar may take a bit as it is retrieving the files at that very moment. It should be rather simple past this point. Good luck. :)

The .Rar it creates can be merged with your current file structure on your SD card, but it would be easiest to put them in a folder on your desktop and then only put on the files from the ModMii .Rar. This will make it easier to navigate and follow the guide. You can put the apps and such back on after finishing.

7. jpmcruiser
    OP

United States
    Just letting you know I saw your comment, and that I'm still around after this whole hacking fiasco. I won't have a chance to try this out for up to a few days (real life stuff), but I'll get back to you with any questions I have once I do.

Thanks again for the help, by the way.