Hacking USB loader HD compatability?

psiko74

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im just wondering if anyone is making a list. Im thinking of buying one but I dont want to get one that useless.

games2007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like this too.
I'm thinking of purching this but I don't even know if it'll be compatible. It looks cool but I don't know if it'll work.
Maybe I'll look for a Western Digital :3

*EDIT*
Err... this looks a lot better. It's a better brand.
I'll probably get that.
It has a 8.0 cnet review. They said it stomps the competition, but gets an 8.0 because of lack of a Firewire port, which I won't be needing.

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dont know who is having trouble on that Wiki with the Seagate 320 GB, but this person claims the drive "works a treat" as stated here:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1862958

desh_thiere said:
Ok, I can confirm that a Seagate Freeagent GO 320 gig 2.5 inch USB powered drive works a treat. Copying over Rock Band 2 now, will let you know results when it finishes. Going to take around 24 minutes by the looks of things, long time.....

Then he goes on to say:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1865049

QUOTE(desh_thiere @ Mar 31 2009, 09:34 PM) I am running a seagate 320 gig portable notebook drive with a single USB power source, works fine.

D

Deleted-119394

Wii USB Devices Compatibility List:
"Only works if the whole drive is formatted in FAT32 by a 3rd party app(Fat32Format), and then WBFS is installed from the pc as well. In order for the loader to see your partition, hook up the USB but leave the drive unplugged. Boot up the wii and plug in the drive in the HBC. The previously reported issue was incorrect, as long as you follow this process you can also connect the drive to a Vista pc to add/delete isos."

So I would have to plug in the drive every time I start the HBC/USB-Loader?

Jetpac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a WD Mybook 640Gb (i believe its the essential edition) which i use for PC backup.

1)First of all are these compatible?
2) would it work if i partitioned it using something like partition magic, then plugged it in, would the wii regognise there are 2 patritions and give the option to only format the new partyition into WBFS whilst leaving the other partition in NTFS/Fat (cant remember what it is) for use with the PC?

retrobits2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jetpac said:
I have a WD Mybook 640Gb (i believe its the essential edition) which i use for PC backup.

1)First of all are these compatible?
2) would it work if i partitioned it using something like partition magic, then plugged it in, would the wii regognise there are 2 patritions and give the option to only format the new partyition into WBFS whilst leaving the other partition in NTFS/Fat (cant remember what it is) for use with the PC?

I use a USB powered WD Passport Essential 500gb. I created two primary partitions in WinXP disk manager. Formatted both Fat32 (had to use 3rd party tool -- in my case SwissKnife V3). Then using wbfs command line utility, I initialized the second partition to WBFS and also added isos to it. USB Loader sees the drive right away -- I don't need to do any plug/unplug etc. -- just turn on the Wii and start USB loader. Also I put movies on the first Fat32 partition and I can use MPlayer_CE to watch them.

jebrown19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know this has probably been asked a hundred times and I don't want to sound redundant but can you guys confirm this for me?

Is there pretty much universal support for the WD Passport / MyBook drives. I'm heading out to buy one tomorrow (640gb Mybook) and I want to be as certain as possible that I'm not going to blow $125 on a paper weight accessory for my Wii.

The Wiki seems to suggest that these Drives work at all sizes but I just wanted to be sure.

Again, sorry for the redundant questions.

Cheers.

ShaneC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't added my drives to the wiki yet, partially cuz i'm lazy, and partially cuz I want to make sure i get all the USB info thats requested as well.

Anyway, these are all 3.5" drives w/ External power supplies:

80gig WD My Book - Couple years old, bought at Wal-Mart - Works great w/ USB Loader, I've yet to find any issues. Full drive is formatted for WBFS.

640 Seagate Free Agent Desk External - 1st Partition is WBFS; 2nd is NTFS. Needs to be powered on AFTER the Wii, or power cycled while waiting on the USB loader to detect it. Does work with Geexbox and USB Loader 1.1; 1.4; and 1.5

The Seagate (for me) is annoying, but 640gig vs 80gig its kinda worth the headache.

I do have a 250gig WD My Book I need to test as well.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This question keeps coming up. Every time it does, someone recommends the WD Passport Essentials. I have the 500GB version of this drive. I had to open the case, hook it up to a SATA port ,and manually adjust the spindown time using hdparam. Therefore, DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE!!!

If you want a small self-powered USB hard drive, stick with the Seagate FreeAgent Go. You can turn off the spindown time without voiding your warranty.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend using the Toshiba brand drives. My 320GB worked right from the start and has never given me issues with spindown and all that, just softmod bliss for me. And based on the Wiki, the other sizes work just as well.

bnm81002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hdhacker said:
This question keeps coming up. Every time it does, someone recommends the WD Passport Essentials. I have the 500GB version of this drive. I had to open the case, hook it up to a SATA port ,and manually adjust the spindown time using hdparam. Therefore, DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE!!!

If you want a small self-powered USB hard drive, stick with the Seagate FreeAgent Go. You can turn off the spindown time without voiding your warranty.

that's why I'm getting the Seagate 500GB version, plus it comes with a 5 year warranty and you can also buy a dock for it as well

Phratt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do Ipods work?

The Wiki shows a few that do, but I have an Ipod photo 20 gb, 4th gen. Its not listed in the Wiki.

I wanted to know if anyone else has tried.,

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bnm81002 said:
Best Buy is offering a free Dock and Case for the Seagate FreeAgent Go drive,
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?ty...cat180300050005

the dock is pretty useless and the carrying case just makes for more stuff to carry and is bulky, plus the prices at bestbuy are too high. i got the 320 gb freeagent from walmart for 83 buck. it had the case and dock and usb+firewire800. best buy has it for 120 and that's with usb only.

but frankly stay away from the firewire anyway since i haven't been able to get mine to work with usb loaded and the management software doesn't give me an option to change the spin down like other people claim.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la