Hacking USB Loader GX with Mac Formats

PrincessYagi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my first time posting a thread, so sorry if it doesn't hold all the information I would need. I'm not great with technology, but I'm happy to answer any questions people have! Thanks in advance...

My friend helped me get USB Loader GX on my Wii and everything was going fine until I bought a SanDisk USB. I didn't know what type of USB it was, but I learned it wasn't compatible with my Wii and wouldn't initialize So I went and exchanged it for a Lexar 2.0 USB. We did all the same steps and the USB initialized unlike the last one. I'm not quite sure what format it was because I plugged it in directly from Target, but it worked. The friend wanted me to add some things to the USB, so I did that and formatted it as (His words not mine) "32kb clusters and FAT32 on my USB". Then when I went to initialize the USB again, my Wii kept freezing. I go to try the other port, and it just doesn't work. I work on a Mac and formatted the USB on there, so we thought that it was Mac's formats that were screwing with the USB. I went to the library to use the Windows computers there. When formatting in on the Windows computer, I just clicked "Revert to original format" and thought that would work. But when I got home and tried to initialize the USB, it only froze. It didn't even go through, but not initialize, it just kept freezing. Now I'm not quite sure what went wrong, but I really want the USB to be recognized by USB Loader GX again!

King Decimator

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm the friend that helped them with it.

I'm at a loss on what to do next. I don't understand why the Mac format broke recognition with USB Loader GX, or why a standard Windows format wouldn't fix it.

What programs does he need to repair it and also to allow Gamecube game support? This is his second USB we tried, I don't recommend having him buy another one.

Any help would be appreciated.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably because you're still trying to use a flash drive. Mac OS has a habit of formatting drives as GPT in addition to adding a hidden system partition. It needs to be MBR and should only have your main FAT32 partition.

Reactions: King Decimator

PrincessYagi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably because you're still trying to use a flash drive. Mac OS has a habit of formatting drives as GPT in addition to adding a hidden system partition. It needs to be MBR and should only have your main FAT32 partition.

Can you explain that in layman's terms, please? ;w;

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to make sure that you've got MBR selected when partitioning the drive in Disk Utility - not GPT. When it's done make sure it didn't put a "System Reserverd" or any other type of partition before your main one. If it's a flash drive it's possible you may never get it to work.

PrincessYagi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to make sure that you've got MBR selected when partitioning the drive in Disk Utility - not GPT. When it's done make sure it didn't put a "System Reserverd" or any other type of partition before your main one. If it's a flash drive it's possible you may never get it to work.

They may be the case. It wouldn't let me select partitions so when I tried to erase the current one, with MBR selected, it still didn't work. I'm just not sure why it worked the first time and not now.

PrincessYagi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been quite a while since I used Mac OS but there should be an option to erase the entire drive.

Should it look like this?

a39332b038.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: