Hacking USB Loader GX freezes when installing games

Zeg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As it says on the tin, I've been recently dealing with this weird problem whenever I attempt to install a game on my HDD, which confuses me because I never experienced this back when I first installed USBLGX and the necessary cIOS about a year ago.

Basically, whenever I'm trying to install a game from the Wii U's disk drive, nine times out of ten it'll just stop somewhere in between. The screen still responds to pressing the Cancel button, but it does nothing. The music still plays and the whole thing's practically softlocked till I unplug the console entirely. Afterwards, I get an error whenever I try to delete the unfinished file, so I have to plug the hard drive into my computer to do so. This is all especially obnoxious considering that each time this happens, I have to all the way through the Wii U Menu, the vWii Menu, the Homebrew Menu and finally back to the USB Loader GX menu.

I saw a few threads here about this, but they all seem to be related to flash drives, while I'm using an external hard drive: 500GB, formatted to FAT32 by GUI Format with an allocation unite size of 4096, connected to the back of my Wii U with a Y cable with the larger plug to the top port.

Speaking of USB Loader, I tried CFG USB Loader instead and that won't even open without freezing on the first image.

From what I can tell, this isn't a problem with the ISO's I've been using. I just updated d2x v10 just a while ago to be safe, and I don't think I ever touched IOS58 since my vWii Menu's already at version 4.3U

Anyway, just for anybody who wants to check my IOS for themselves, here's my SysCheck:
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline Double_A R2-D2199 and Nano
...runs on vIOS58 (rev 6432).
Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v609)
Drive date: 06.28.2011
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58
Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 605676123
Console Type: vWii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v0
Found 98 titles.
Found 34 IOS on this console. 0 of them are stubs.
vIOS9 (rev 1290): No Patches
vIOS12 (rev 782): No Patches
vIOS13 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS14 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS15 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS17 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS21 (rev 1295): No Patches
vIOS22 (rev 1550): No Patches
vIOS28 (rev 2063): No Patches
vIOS31 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS33 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS34 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS35 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS36 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS37 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS38 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS41 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS43 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS45 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS46 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS48 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS53 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS55 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS56 (rev 5918): No Patches
vIOS57 (rev 6175): No Patches
vIOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
vIOS59 (rev 9249): No Patches
vIOS62 (rev 6942): No Patches
vIOS80 (rev 7200): No Patches
vIOS249[56] (rev 21010 Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): NAND Access USB 2.0
vIOS250[57] (rev 21010 Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): NAND Access USB 2.0
vIOS251[58] (rev 21010 Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): NAND Access USB 2.0
vIOS512 (rev 7): No Patches
vIOS513 (rev 1): No Patches
Report generated on 07/19/2019.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong here? What can I do to get these games to install properly?

Last edited by Zeg,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
first: Your syscheck is good. don't touch/edit/update it anymore.

I'm always wondering why "usbloadergx" is part of thread title when the issue happens in ALL other homebrew too.
it just make it looks like that loader is bad when you check thread's list :P

you are right, it's usually an error with flash drive which can't work correctly in write mode.
There's also Toshiba HDD which seems to have the same issue than flashdrive.

which brand is your drive?
WD should work fine. Seagate can have issue. Toshiba should be avoided.

If it's a WesternDigital drive, then I really don't know why it freezes.
Did you try to use IOS58 in USBLoaderGX ? maybe that'll be worse, as Wiiflow uses that IOS by default and you said it's worse.
Did you try CleanRIP ? it's also using IOS58, but has more option like dump to SD. It'll make an .iso instead of a smaller wbfs files, but then you can use your computer to convert and transfer the game to wbfs onto your drive. It'll work a lot better on computer than on Wii.

Zeg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm always wondering why "usbloadergx" is part of thread title when the issue happens in ALL other homebrew too.
it just make it looks like that loader is bad when you check thread's list

Is that so? Must be just because USB backing's all I use the Homebrew for nowadays, I suppose! :P

Anyway, thanks for the response! I just checked my HDD and, lo and behold, it's from Toshiba, specifically a MQ01ACF050 that I yoinked from my laptop after I replaced it with an SSD, plus a Sabrent EC-UASP enclosure.

I didn't dig too far into the threads with the flash drives, but if a Toshiba drive's hopeless then I'll probably either undo the migration and try the SSD instead, or use a Seagate 1TB Portable Backup I have lying around but would need to buy an appropriate Y cable for (Unless there's some trick I'm missing, all external drives just don't get enough power if they don't have one).

Like I said, I've already got the updated IOS58 on account of using a v4.3U vWii Menu, so I doubt that's the issue. As a matter of fact I haven't at all tried Wiiflow yet, so I'll check that out in the meantime. Does Wiiflow have a WBFS export option on its own, or would I have to convert it manually with Backup Manager? Are there any key differences I should know between WBFS and ISO files I should be aware of apart from size?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
all loaders have the dump disc to wbfs option.
you could try with other loaders or with cleanRIP but it'll be ISO format.

ISO contains both game data and garbage to fill the disc entirely to 4.7GB (or 9GB for dual layers)
wbfs contains only the game data.
so you can consider the different is just the file size. plus, wbfs can be split in 2 files if you use FAT32 and the game data is bigger than 4GB, while ISO can't and you need NTFS.

the only game having issues being dumped is Smash Bros, because it contains multiple partitions table. cleanRIP and Wit/wwt is often recommended for that game.

Last edited by Cyan,

Zeg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sounds like I'll be looking to use WBFS. Anyhow, I just installed CleanRip only to find out it apparently can't even mount the drive (Its error code was just 00000000). Then I installed Wiiflow instead, and it looked like it worked fine, but halfway through installing Mario Galaxy, the console softlocked with something... disconcerting:
20190720_154636828_iOS.jpg

Guess I'll get back to taking the SSD out for a spin and see how that goes.

D

Deleted User

[message retracted due to being wrong lol]

Last edited by ,

ChokingVictim87

Trophies
XP
Country
How do you remove the game from the USB loader Gx homescreen if it got stuck during install and the console had to be restarted?

smash bros brawl is just showing as a black image with the name (no art) and can’t be deleted by clicking on it

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

How do you remove the game from the USB loader Gx homescreen if it got stuck during install and the console had to be restarted?

smash bros brawl is just showing as a black image with the name (no art) and can’t be deleted by clicking on it

You can use the WiiBackup Manager on your PC to delete Games or
you can delete the Game Folder for Smash Bros Brawl (or any other Game you do not need) "by Hand" (also on your PC).:)
or if you use USBLoader GX,you can delete any Game in the InGame Settings.

Thank you.:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1