Hacking USB Loader Fragmentation

Stang

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is a question for those far more knowledgeable then I. Over the course of time, will the HDD's we use for the USB Loader become fragmented just as our ordinary computer HDD's do (I assume so)? If so, how would one defragment the drive? Beyond reformatting the drive and starting all over, I have not come upon an answer. Anybody know if this will be an issue?

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
this is a good question, maybe future versions of USB Loader could have a WBFS defragger included in them or if someone is good enough they could code it and include it in it now.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
won't happen unless you delete files and add new ones afterwards. just don't delete any or if you do, be prepared to delete them all and recopy all of them.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your computer hard drive is constantly being written to. Fragmentation occurs when files are deleted and then new files take their place. I'm not clear on how the wbfs works, but it appears that deleting a game causes corruption of other existing games when new ones are written. I'm assuming it's because the file system DOESN'T fragment its files.

I really hope the wbfs format and tools get an upgrade to start acting like a more reliable file system, or the loader starts using NTFS.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It would be much easier for the loader to use ext2 or ext3.
As far as NTFS, it's not a good idea. ext2/ext3 provide better read/write performance. Plus, I'm wary of using the NTFS-3G driver no matter how good it may be.

Stang

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami Kiba said:
this is a good question, maybe future versions of USB Loader could have a WBFS defragger included in them or if someone is good enough they could code it and include it in it now.

I agree 100%. When I first got my HDD, I added a couple games then deleted the first, sadly not 1 game I added after the first worked after. I know USB Loader is new, but I really hope the talented coders pay mind to this issue; I would hate to see the loader fail due to fragmentation.

Thanks for your responses
smile.gif

Stang

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami Kiba said:

I agree 100%. When I first got my HDD, I added a couple games then deleted the first, sadly not 1 game I added after the first worked after. I know USB Loader is new, but I really hope the talented coders pay mind to this issue; I would hate to see the loader fail due to fragmentation.

smile.gif

oldcqr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hdhacker said:
Your computer hard drive is constantly being written to. Fragmentation occurs when files are deleted and then new files take their place. I'm not clear on how the wbfs works, but it appears that deleting a game causes corruption of other existing games when new ones are written. I'm assuming it's because the file system DOESN'T fragment its files.

I really hope the wbfs format and tools get an upgrade to start acting like a more reliable file system, or the loader starts using NTFS.

You can prove there is corruption from deleting and re-creating games?

I personally have deleted and re-added around 20 of the games on my Wii HD, and NONE of them corrupted themselves or other games on the HD.

Stang

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami Kiba said:

smile.gif

BlindDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is happening to me too... Dammit thats alot of games to put back on to get ONE to work... So,, just DONT delete anything? CRAP!

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Stang said:
Shinigami Kiba said:

smile.gif

A HDD doesn't get fragmented that fast or badly. That's actually an issue with the loader/filesystem itself, it doesn't properly update the FAT.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oldcqr said:
hdhacker said:

You can prove there is corruption from deleting and re-creating games?

I personally have deleted and re-added around 20 of the games on my Wii HD, and NONE of them corrupted themselves or other games on the HD.

How big is your hard drive?
If you have a lot of free space, I don't think you will experience too much curruption when deleting and adding games

Smaller drives/partitions will get fragmented much faster when you delete and add games.

BlindDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update..

I filled my 160gb drive the other day.. And yesterday I deleted some games that are on the compatability list to be not working. Two to be exact.. sam and max episode 1 and shit i cant remember..

Then I installed some more games in their place.
First I installed TNA Impact 3.xx GB, then tony hawk and gravity,, both small.

I think that the large TNA Impact file filled in the "gapps" because out of those I installed,, only one that doesnt work is TNA impact..

Weird? or does it make sence?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BlindDude said:
Update..

I filled my 160gb drive the other day.. And yesterday I deleted some games that are on the compatability list to be not working. Two to be exact.. sam and max episode 1 and shit i cant remember..

Then I installed some more games in their place.
First I installed TNA Impact 3.xx GB, then tony hawk and gravity,, both small.

I think that the large TNA Impact file filled in the "gapps" because out of those I installed,, only one that doesnt work is TNA impact..

Weird? or does it make sence?

How many games was that? to take up 160gb.
Right now im at about 30 games with 50gb used.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i found out the hard way added 10 games delete 2 and added another 44 behind them all from disc, now i have corrupt games and wasted the day dumping discs.
now i have to start again unless this issue is fixed i suggest adding games to your hdd only after pre testing on a pendrive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol