Hacking USB loader ceased to recognize USB

Viper8797

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello forum! I am here to post my issue and hopefully get some help, sorry if my language isn't good enough or if this was already posted.

So, 2 days ago, i softmodded my wii (4.3E). Easy peasy, used the letterbomb method, all working fine, even some minor apps on homebrew channel, like emulators, e.t.c

Then, I wanted to play a game my cousin had borrowed me, that was already in wbfs format. I have a 16G USB formatted to FAT32. I fiddled with Pimp my wii and CFG usb loader and i got the game to work (mario kart), not a single problem.

However, last night, my brother turned off the wii while in game. The wii refused to turn off (remaining on even after pressing the power button) and my brother unplugged it.

When i turned it on this morning, the usb loader does no longer recognize my usb, not even gx loader. It is plugged to the correct port, the one near the edge, that worked before, but now it doesn't anymore. The USB isn't damaged because it still works on my PC, and i don't think there is damage on the wii aswell, given that the usb loader goes all slow when i plug it on (takes a while to respond to commands).

So, can anyone help me? if you need any log, tell me where to get it, but don't ask much technical information, i'm a noob at this. The only Cios i tried was in pimp my wii, with IOS 58, Dx2 v 9, slot 249, base IOS36 revision 21009.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Try to plug your drive in over and over, turning the wii on and off a few times. This happened many times to me, and I kept doing this until it works. After a few times like this, the drive should work flawlessly.

Viper8797

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Try to plug your drive in over and over, turning the wii on and off a few times. This happened many times to me, and I kept doing this until it works. After a few times like this, the drive should work flawlessly.

Actually the problem is not the Wii not recognizing the device, sorry for misinformations. I get that screen that says that device isnt responding.

EDIT: Should have done this sooner, but using a different USB fixed it. Odd, the 16G worked before, but now it doesnt...

Viper8797

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bump. Sorry for this guys, but i could really use some help. I got one USB device to work, but it's 4GB, which isn't able to old much games compared to my 16GLexar USB.

The odd thing is that it worked, but even without updating... It ceased to work mysteriously... isn't there some sort of log that would help me ? I use CFG usb loader, and it worked just fine yesterday, but now it just stops at the "device is not responding" screen. Any ideas?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe using Pimp my Wii has something to do with it? :unsure: I wouldn't touch this app with a 10 foot pole. Nobody here would recommend using it, as it's nicknamed Brick my Wii on this forum. Only thing I can recommend is to redo your hack using a proper tool, this time (use Modmii this time around). Hack as if it were the first time on your Wii, and it will overwrite all the potential harm Pimp my Wii did to your Wii. Good luck!

Viper8797

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe using Pimp my Wii has something to do with it? :unsure: I wouldn't touch this app with a 10 foot pole. Nobody here would recommend using it, as it's nicknamed Brick my Wii on this forum. Only thing I can recommend is to redo your hack using a proper tool, this time (use Modmii this time around). Hack as if it were the first time on your Wii, and it will overwrite all the potential harm Pimp my Wii did to your Wii. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I have adquired modmii and i just have one question: What do I do with ModMii? Update the Cios? Rehack the wii? To do that i used letterbomb.

EDIT: Damn... used ModMii, wish i knew of it sooner, nice tutorials and very easy to use. Same results. Loads a 4GB USB device in 3seconds, with a 16GB doesn't even make it past the CFG screen. Any ideas?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Weel, looks like your Wii doesn't like the 16GB device, then... Try another one (different brand), and, if you can, test that 16GB of yours in a different Wii.

About ModMii, yes, you just redo the hack, as if you had a virgin Wii, but I think you already did that. Good for you.:yay:

Viper8797

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Weel, looks like your Wii doesn't like the 16GB device, then... Try another one (different brand), and, if you can, test that 16GB of yours in a different Wii.

About ModMii, yes, you just redo the hack, as if you had a virgin Wii, but I think you already did that. Good for you.:yay:

Thanks for the help. Yes, i wish i had found ModMii before, but i saw a tutorial video with pimp my wii, so i used it. But it is VERY odd. The 16GB worked just fine, and literally from the night to the day, no more. Simply ceased to work. I didnt change anything, format anything, change a setting... NOTHING. I would try a different 16GB IF I HAD ONE! (damn dinkleberg)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks for the help. Yes, i wish i had found ModMii before, but i saw a tutorial video with pimp my wii, so i used it. But it is VERY odd. The 16GB worked just fine, and literally from the night to the day, no more. Simply ceased to work. I didnt change anything, format anything, change a setting... NOTHING. I would try a different 16GB IF I HAD ONE! (damn dinkleberg)
Try formatting it? There's not much else you can try at this point.

Viper8797

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Try formatting it? There's not much else you can try at this point.

Well, i already tried that aswell, both in FAT32 and NTFS (tough is there any special procedure for loading NTFS?) Thanks for the tip anyway, i guess i will have to give up on my dreams of having more than 2 games in my wii (already managed to stuff one in the SD card:lol: )

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, i already tried that aswell, both in FAT32 and NTFS (tough is there any special procedure for loading NTFS?) Thanks for the tip anyway, i guess i will have to give up on my dreams of having more than 2 games in my wii (already managed to stuff one in the SD card:lol: )
Are you pluging it into the left port of the wii, I almost broke my wii until I figured out it kept putting it in the left port.
But because you have been trying different things you most likely know witch port to use. Also what did you use pimp my wii for.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello forum! I am here to post my issue and hopefully get some help, sorry if my language isn't good enough or if this was already posted.

So, 2 days ago, i softmodded my wii (4.3E). Easy peasy, used the letterbomb method, all working fine, even some minor apps on homebrew channel, like emulators, e.t.c

Then, I wanted to play a game my cousin had borrowed me, that was already in wbfs format. I have a 16G USB formatted to FAT32. I fiddled with Pimp my wii and CFG usb loader and i got the game to work (mario kart), not a single problem.

However, last night, my brother turned off the wii while in game. The wii refused to turn off (remaining on even after pressing the power button) and my brother unplugged it.

When i turned it on this morning, the usb loader does no longer recognize my usb, not even gx loader. It is plugged to the correct port, the one near the edge, that worked before, but now it doesn't anymore. The USB isn't damaged because it still works on my PC, and i don't think there is damage on the wii aswell, given that the usb loader goes all slow when i plug it on (takes a while to respond to commands).

So, can anyone help me? if you need any log, tell me where to get it, but don't ask much technical information, i'm a noob at this. The only Cios i tried was in pimp my wii, with IOS 58, Dx2 v 9, slot 249, base IOS36 revision 21009.

Sounds like a classic case of the partition not being active. I know that sounds weird, but try setting the partition as active in a partition manager like EaseUS. While you're at it, format the drive to FAT32 with 32K cluster size. Again, use EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition.

It sounds to me like your brother caused the flash drive to corrupt, and since the wii didn't know how to handle the corrupt data, it was running sluggish. So you formatted it the formatter you used didn't bother to mark the only partition on the device as active. It's a dumb thing that many formatters don't bother with because usually most software and devices don't need to see what partition to mount based on that, but for some flash drives and such on the the wii, I've found the partition HAS to be set active for the wii to even pick it up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: