USB HDD help

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Fudge, Aug 31, 2011.

Aug 31, 2011

USB HDD help by Fudge at 9:52 PM (355 Views / 0 Likes) 1 replies

1. Fudge
    OP

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I have this 500GB USB HDD that I thought was broken for about a year or so, but I still think I may be able to fix it. When I go into Disk Management, it appears as RAW file system, however there is no option to format it. How would I go about formatting it?
    EDIT: Also in Disk Management I get "Cyclic Redundancy Check" error.

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    CRC errors are one of the first signs that the drive is sick. You should run a SMART scan (using SpeedFan or Speccy) to find out how sick before you continue. Normally when this happens, I also tend to notice that Windows reports the drive to be smaller than it should be (e.g. 8MB instead of 8GB).

Normally when you plug in a drive in a format Windows can't identify (it'll label it as RAW), Windows will give you a prompt saying you have to format drive before you can use it. If it doesn't, you should still be able to try in the disk management screen. Since you say you can't, I would guess that the CRC error has something to do with it.

From this point, you can try undelete or partition recovery programs to recover your data. If that doesn't work, I believe the drive is dead and beyond recovery (since I wouldn't know what else to try... Then again, I'm no expert into how drives work and, ultimately, don't work).