USB Gecko.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by xsp, Mar 6, 2013.

USB Gecko.

by xsp Mar 6, 2013 at 2:23 AM 1,584 Views 3 replies
  1. xsp
    OP

xsp r30y162part2

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2011
    United States
    usbgecko.png
    Following the pictures from Flickr and looking in to the Max II, we can get a good idea of what is going on with the USB Gecko and the Wii U. Now I'm not too familiar with the processor in question as I have only played around with my Gecko for a few weeks, but we can get a clear picture of what is going on here.

• WII U -> USB Gecko
    • TP50 -> Clock
    • TP51 -> IO
    • TP52 -> IO
    • TP53 -> IO
    • TP138 -> VCCINT (Voltage)
    • TP137 -> 0.1uF Capacitor
    Can anyone more familiar with the USB Gecko expand on this? Note the error at the top of the image. I listed it as TP138 and it should have been TP137.

CosmoCortney likes this.
  2. obcd

obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2011
    Belgium
    It's not a processor, it's an fpga. It's original function was to interface the gamecube exi memory slots, but someone with the knowledge could simply reprogram it to a whole different functionallity. U3 is an ftdi chip that transfers 8 bit between the fpga and the usb port. The pc sees the device as a serial port. U2 is a flash chip that is no longer present in the latest generation of usb gecko devices. They also used a different fpga in those. (The blue ones)

3. xsp
    OP

xsp r30y162part2

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2011
    United States
    Thanks for the reply. The last time I did any sort of bare metal programming was when software came on tapes, so I apologize for the lack of knowledge. So we're talking HDL. Verilog seems pretty C friendly.
    if (...) begin
    end
    Registers for variables, a bus of registers, etc... Thank you again for the reply. Going to read up on it more tonight.

4. obcd

obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2011
    Belgium
    The schematics, pcb layout and fpga code of the usb gecko rev. 1 are freely available on the internet. You also can download a free viewer package to examine all the stuff. If the original code was changed to interface it 2 the wiiu, it could be anything.
    I guess you already knew the first.