USB File System is Unsupported

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i hooked up my external USB HDD to my PC to read out the SMART values using Crystaldiskinfo.
To see the drive it asked me to chose between MBR or GPT, i went with the default option, GPT i think.

Now my PS5 no longer recognizes it. Is there any way to save my Data?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hooked up my external USB HDD to my PC to read out the SMART values using Crystaldiskinfo.
To see the drive it asked me to chose between MBR or GPT, i went with the default option, GPT i think.

maybe a recovery tool, but it's most likely lost now. did it have your games on it?

Reactions: impeeza

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didnt format it, nor did i create a file system on it or anything. Just chose to treat it as GPT
it may be possible using clonezilla iirc. you'll have to clone the drive on to another drive, then inject sector 0 of the hdd after having been formatted by the ps5. I don't know for sure if this works, but that's the basic rundown of how to fix this with the ps3.

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it may be possible using clonezilla iirc. you'll have to clone the drive on to another drive, then inject sector 0 of the hdd after having been formatted by the ps5. I don't know for sure if this works, but that's the basic rundown of how to fix this with the ps3.
Thanks, but the drive is 8tb, cant clone it anywhere. Guess im SOL.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I think the drives have to be either the same or the same size as part of sector 0 is where the computer reads the size of the drive.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

No way to recover because when you initialize the disk on PC you did remove from disk the information about filesystem and allocation tables

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only drive out of the big three that can be formatted is a media drive with the series x. I don't know if have one of those, but you could use it with retroarch.

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the only drive out of the big three that can be formatted is a media drive with the series x. I don't know if have one of those, but you could use it with retroarch.
i just wanted to read out the SMART values to check that the drive is fine and ruined it.
i installed over 250 games from physical disks onto it before i stopped updating after 4.03.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's possible to read the drive without initializing it, but I've never had this issue, so I don't know for 100% certainty. you can get the location of the physical drive in powershell iirc.

Reactions: impeeza and CoolMe

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think it's possible to read the drive without initializing it, but I've never had this issue, so I don't know for 100% certainty. you can get the location of the physical drive in powershell iirc.
thank you, but i dont think im gonna be using the drive anymore, kinda pointless now

• Sad
Reactions: godreborn

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the way the PS5 formats the drive is unique to it (same with other consoles), and the moment you chose GPT it changed it, and now it's corrupt. I don't think any amount recovery software tinkering can get the hdd to its previous state, or any of the stored files etc.

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think the way the PS5 formats the drive is unique to it (same with other consoles), and the moment you chose GPT it changed it, and now it's corrupt. I don't think any amount recovery software tinkering can get the hdd to its previous state, or any of the stored files etc.
thank you

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it actually uses the same formatting method as the ps4 afaik, because someone was able to install a ps5 game to the external hdd, then examine what's going on with the format on the ps4. there's now four packages you have to install instead of one.

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: +1