Hardware Emulation USB FAT Device Could Not Be Opened?

slider86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, when using a hard drive connected to my Wii U I load up Nintendont but get this error message. From reading similar threads I realise that I need to make sure the drive is formatted in FAT32 but when I format I only have the option of NTFS and exFAT. Which should I pick?

I was hoping to run my games off USB but it doesn't detect the hard drive. It detects my SD card fine but I didn't want to rely on that due to storage limitations. I also tried using USB Loader GX but it only registers the SD card. If I go to Settings and switch the USB port to Port 1 the whole console crashes so it's not just Nintendont, I know I need to use a Y cable for the hard drive but where do I connect both ends?

Could anyone please provide a list of things I need to make sure are done so the USB is recognised?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you.:)

Okay thanks. I know I need to use a Y cable for the hard drive but where do I connect both ends?
Which HDD Brand do you have please ?

For the vWii / USBLoader GX you should use the 2 BACK USB Ports to avoid Issues/Troubles please.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you.😉

Using Seagate.

I have the cable for that. I just needed to know where to plug the Y cable ends or do I only use one USB port?
You can try the Front USB Ports,but from Experience,some HDDs get not enough "Power" and it affects the USB Game Loading.
So,the "safest" Way is using the Y-Cable with the BACK USB Ports.
If your HDD Enclosure has also an Power Supply,that´s perfect.😉👌

slider86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you.😉

You can try the Front USB Ports,but from Experience,some HDDs get not enough "Power" and it affects the USB Game Loading.
So,the "safest" Way is using the Y-Cable with the BACK USB Ports.
If your HDD Enclosure has also an Power Supply,that´s perfect.😉👌
I don't think I do have a power supply. I do remember an online tutorial saying to plug in the back. When I try connecting with just one my drive starts clicking. So just to clarify I should use both ports at the back?

Also what does the partition do to the hard drive? Can I revert it back at a later date? Are there any special settings I need to set in Nintendont or USB Loader GX?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

I don't think I do have a power supply. I do remember an online tutorial saying to plug in the back. When I try connecting with just one my drive starts clicking. So just to clarify I should use both ports at the back?

Also what does the partition do to the hard drive? Can I revert it back at a later date? Are there any special settings I need to set in Nintendont or USB Loader GX?
Yes,you need then 2 Ports.The Wii U is a little "different" with USB Power than the Wii.

You need the FAT32 Partiton as 1st for Nintendont because it do not support NTFS or WBFS (you should no longer use that File Format today...).
So you need the FIRST Partion as FAT32.
Depends on the HDD´s Size,then you can make a Second Partition with FAT32 (if it is not bigger than 2 TB) or otherwise with NTFS if you like (but it is not needed).
Because you should ALWAYS use the WiiBackup Manager for the Game Transfers from your PC to your HDD.
It guarantees you the correct ID / Filenames and Size.

You can also make one BIG FAT32 Partion (it is possible up to 12 TB but only with supported HDD´s like the Western Digital Drives).

What is the Size of your HDD by the Way please ? :)

slider86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Yes,you need then 2 Ports.The Wii U is a little "different" with USB Power than the Wii.

You need the FAT32 Partiton as 1st for Nintendont because it do not support NTFS or WBFS (you should no longer use that File Format today...).
So you need the FIRST Partion as FAT32.
Depends on the HDD´s Size,then you can make a Second Partition with FAT32 (if it is not bigger than 2 TB) or otherwise with NTFS if you like (but it is not needed).
Because you should ALWAYS use the WiiBackup Manager for the Game Transfers from your PC to your HDD.
It guarantees you the correct ID / Filenames and Size.

You can also make one BIG FAT32 Partion (it is possible up to 12 TB but only with supported HDD´s like the Western Digital Drives).

What is the Size of your HDD by the Way please ? :)
419GB but if successful may end up using something with 2TB. So are there any special settings I need to set in Nintendont or USB Loader GX?

Also what should my size allocation for the formatting be?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
419GB but if successful may end up using something with 2TB. So are there any special settings I need to set in Nintendont or USB Loader GX?

Also what should my size allocation for the formatting be?
For the 2 TB you can use one single FAT32 Partition,all set to automatic for the Formatting and it should work fine for you.:)
For Nintendont and USBLoader GX.😊👌

And please try @fledge68 ´s WiiFlow Mod too of course.
Please try it too,it as awesome as USBLoader GX and has many cool Features for other Things like Emulation.
It is no Problem to have both Loader´s.

Last edited by Alexander1970,

slider86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the 2 TB you can use one single FAT32 Partition,all set to automatic for the Formatting and it should work fine for you.:)

Please try it too,it as awesome as USBLoader GX and has many cool Features for other Things like Emulation.
I have WiiFlow. I'm trying my smaller drive and setting allocation size to the default 32768.

slider86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Didn't work and I did as you said for the smaller USB drive:

- Used your attached program to format the drive
- Same error message on Nintendont "USB FAT device cannot be opened"
- USB Loader GX still crashes the console when I make changes to the Hardware Settings
- Nothing on Wii Flow allows me to change path, probably because USB isn't detected
- SD card as usual is read perfectly but when any attempt is made in Nintendont or another app to change the source location no other option is available to select

Honestly my drive works fine so it's not that. Any ideas of what else I need to do or what options to select?

• Wow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw