OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Parablank said:
Check, here.

Says this:

Works with USB Loader, Works with WBFS manager 2.5.

Not tested on Homebrew and GeeXboX, but works on USB loaders.
rofl thanks I was just looking at that list but somehow managed to skip over that drive XD

luckwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For $50 more you can get a Western Digital 1.5TB drive at Fry's that has full compatibility. You can use it to back up your PC, and have more than enough room for storage.

bwillb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
luckwii said:
For $50 more you can get a Western Digital 1.5TB drive at Fry's that has full compatibility. You can use it to back up your PC, and have more than enough room for storage.
yeah im just looking for a small discount drive for JUST wii backups... already got enough storage for everything else
biggrin.gif
this hitachi is on sale for like 30 something, hard to beat that.

edit: also one more question. the 2nd usb port on the wii, can that be used for the power on the Y connector, or whill I need to run that through a wall wart?

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may want to use the wall wart with a usb hdd plugged into your Wii, wouldn't want any unnecessary strain overheating your Wii.

I had a portable usb hdd plugged in to my DVD player usb port, and after watching a movie for 2 hours it popped a circuit breaker in my DVD player, I was like WTF, but the next day the DVD player worked fine.

bwillb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SickPuppy said:
You may want to use the wall wart with a usb hdd plugged into your Wii, wouldn't want any unnecessary strain overheating your Wii.

I had a portable usb hdd plugged in to my DVD player usb port, and after watching a movie for 2 hours it popped a circuit breaker in my DVD player, I was like WTF, but the next day the DVD player worked fine.
the other port does have sufficient power output, though? may try it and then switch to the wall wart if the wii shows any signs of stress...
actually I wonder if I could plug the data into the Wii and then plug the other cable into my xbox360 for power XD oh yes I went there, mad scientist inter-console cable-ation.

hmm probably going to do 200gb as WBFS and a 50gb partition for roms... would NTFS or FAT be better for like, SNES and N64 roms?

Parablank

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bwillb said:
SickPuppy said:

the other port does have sufficient power output, though? may try it and then switch to the wall wart if the wii shows any signs of stress...
actually I wonder if I could plug the data into the Wii and then plug the other cable into my xbox360 for power XD oh yes I went there, mad scientist inter-console cable-ation.

hmm probably going to do 200gb as WBFS and a 50gb partition for roms... would NTFS or FAT be better for like, SNES and N64 roms?
You're better off with the whole partition as FAT32, as you can just convert isos into wbfs format, and place it in the "wbfs" folder. Plus, you can use it for different things.

bwillb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Parablank said:
bwillb said:
SickPuppy said:

You're better off with the whole partition as FAT32, as you can just convert isos into wbfs format, and place it in the "wbfs" folder. Plus, you can use it for different things.
they were out of the drive i wanted so i ended up with a larger hitachi drive
ohnoes.png

anywho, couple questions.
is there any difference between FAT32 and WBFS as far as compatibility and performance?
what utility would you recommend for formatting as FAT32? windows 7 disk management is only offering NTFS or exFAT
ohnoes.png

also what utility is best for converting an ISO to wbfs format on a FAT drive?

Parablank

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bwillb said:
Parablank said:
bwillb said:
SickPuppy said:

ohnoes.png

is there any difference between FAT32 and WBFS as far as compatibility and performance?
what utility would you recommend for formatting as FAT32? windows 7 disk management is only offering NTFS or exFAT
ohnoes.png

There is no difference between FAT32 and WBFS. It's just that FAT32 can store anything, while the WBFS can only store Wii games.
Use this applacation, it's free and simple.
For converting isos, I would use this.

bwillb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Parablank said:
bwillb said:
Parablank said:
bwillb said:
SickPuppy said:

ohnoes.png

ohnoes.png

There is no difference between FAT32 and WBFS. It's just that FAT32 can store anything, while the WBFS can only store Wii games.
Use this applacation, it's free and simple.
For converting isos, I would use this.
awesome thanks, went ahead and got that set up. copying my backups over now.... eta 4 hours for the 7 games i have
ohnoes.png
then still gotta do zelda from the disc since I didn't make an iso backup of that one before.... CFG USB can install to the wbfs folder right?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
4 hours for 7 games? you on usb 1.0 or something?

yes cfg loader will install to wbfs folder

not sure what program your using to convert your files to .wbfs but i would recommend wiibackup manager.

bwillb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icebrg5 said:
4 hours for 7 games? you on usb 1.0 or something?

yes cfg loader will install to wbfs folder

not sure what program your using to convert your files to .wbfs but i would recommend wiibackup manager.
supposed to be usb 2.0 but the speed is going even slower now than it was when I posted that
ohnoes.png
now the total eta is up to almost 5 hours, getting less than 1 MB/s... and I'm using that backup manager that was linked above

of course the first game was SSBB, which is almost 8gb for some reason XD maybe when it gets to the others that it doesn't have to split, it will work better.

Well, apparently something is screwy with my PC's USB. unplugged my mouse and keyboard and the speed shot up 20 fold. last game refused to install, but meh.... it kinda sucked anyway (new last air bender game)

thanks for a ll the help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.