Homebrew USB Devices and Homebrew

  • Thread starter Thread starter raptir
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 1,690
  • Replies Replies 7

raptir

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
189
Reaction score
1
Trophies
1
XP
239
Country
United States
I've been having a lot of trouble getting my USB devices to work with any homebrew. They work fine with the USB Loader, but I can't get them to work with apps such as emulators or media players. I have three different devices...

- Kingston DataTraveler 4GB
- Generic 128MB flash drive
- WD Elements 640GB external hard drive

And NONE of them will work with any applications. I particularly would like to get them working with Emulators, as I don't want to need to burn discs of ROMs. Any suggestions? Does it need to be formatted a special way (I have it in FAT32 now)? Would it be an issue that my WBFS partition is the first partition on my WDElements?
 
Well, that explains why the hard drive won't work, but that doesn't explain my flash drives...
 
QUOTE said:
Well, that explains why the hard drive won't work, but that doesn't explain my flash drives...
ok, have you got the cIOS from the google code page? have you installed dvdx to IOS202?
try plugging the usb before booting mplayer. if it doesn't want it's due to libogc not supporting some.
 
Alright, I got the drives working, I just reinstalled cIOS USB. I'm having another issue, however. My external hard drive (WD Elements 640GB) works well at first, but after about 20 minutes it goes into sleep mode and I can no longer save my game in some of the emulators. Any suggestions as to how to disable the sleep mode? It's apparently not an issue because of the way the USB Loaders handle the drive shutting down, but these emulators don't seem to handle it well.

Edit: Actually, what I said isn't entirely accurate. I assumed it was the drive shutting down, but when I put my hand on it the drive is still vibrating slightly. So it hasn't gone into sleep mode, but the FCEUGX and snes9x GX will both give me an error saying "USB drive not found!" after a while.

Edit2: One other issue. I've gotten some weird save corruption on my USB flash drive (the DataTraveler). It seems if I save too often I get an error where it will code dump when I try to load the save. Any suggestions other than formatting the drive?
 
Sadly i have the opposite problem i can get my LaCiE 160 GB Portable HDD to work with all aplications except any usb loaders, it just cant detect my hdd for some reason it says mounting hdd/usb (30/40 second max) and the light on my hdd goes out but its still humming but usb loader freezes.

Any ideas??
 
A little update. I switched back to using my SD card, and FCEU GX managed to corrupt my saves on THAT, as well.

EDIT: And now when I plug my SD card into my PC, it gives me the error that my "emulators" directory is now corrupted and unreadable.

One more Edit: Is there any chance that it has to do with leaving my external hard drive plugged in while I used it?
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted