USB Devices and Homebrew

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by raptir, Apr 26, 2009.

Apr 26, 2009

USB Devices and Homebrew by raptir at 12:27 AM (1,080 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. raptir
    OP

Member raptir GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've been having a lot of trouble getting my USB devices to work with any homebrew. They work fine with the USB Loader, but I can't get them to work with apps such as emulators or media players. I have three different devices...

- Kingston DataTraveler 4GB
    - Generic 128MB flash drive
    - WD Elements 640GB external hard drive

And NONE of them will work with any applications. I particularly would like to get them working with Emulators, as I don't want to need to burn discs of ROMs. Any suggestions? Does it need to be formatted a special way (I have it in FAT32 now)? Would it be an issue that my WBFS partition is the first partition on my WDElements?

2. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    yes, fat32 needs to be first partition and set as primary.

3. raptir
    OP

United States
    Well, that explains why the hard drive won't work, but that doesn't explain my flash drives...

4. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    ok, have you got the cIOS from the google code page? have you installed dvdx to IOS202?
    try plugging the usb before booting mplayer. if it doesn't want it's due to libogc not supporting some.

5. raptir
    OP

United States
    Alright, I got the drives working, I just reinstalled cIOS USB. I'm having another issue, however. My external hard drive (WD Elements 640GB) works well at first, but after about 20 minutes it goes into sleep mode and I can no longer save my game in some of the emulators. Any suggestions as to how to disable the sleep mode? It's apparently not an issue because of the way the USB Loaders handle the drive shutting down, but these emulators don't seem to handle it well.

Edit: Actually, what I said isn't entirely accurate. I assumed it was the drive shutting down, but when I put my hand on it the drive is still vibrating slightly. So it hasn't gone into sleep mode, but the FCEUGX and snes9x GX will both give me an error saying "USB drive not found!" after a while.

Edit2: One other issue. I've gotten some weird save corruption on my USB flash drive (the DataTraveler). It seems if I save too often I get an error where it will code dump when I try to load the save. Any suggestions other than formatting the drive?

6. redydav

Newcomer redydav Newbie

Australia
    Sadly i have the opposite problem i can get my LaCiE 160 GB Portable HDD to work with all aplications except any usb loaders, it just cant detect my hdd for some reason it says mounting hdd/usb (30/40 second max) and the light on my hdd goes out but its still humming but usb loader freezes.

Any ideas??

7. raptir
    OP

United States
    Did you try formatting it on your PC first? Try WBFS Manager.

8. raptir
    OP

United States
    A little update. I switched back to using my SD card, and FCEU GX managed to corrupt my saves on THAT, as well.

EDIT: And now when I plug my SD card into my PC, it gives me the error that my "emulators" directory is now corrupted and unreadable.

One more Edit: Is there any chance that it has to do with leaving my external hard drive plugged in while I used it?