Hacking Question USB C to USB A cable

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
No, I disagree with you. You clearly don't know what you're talking about and I've no time explaining more what I learnt from university and what I practice at work to some stubborn nobody on the internet. Without evidence you say? Pff. Go back to school rather than browsing the "internet" for these "evidences."

Reactions: Huntereb

King_Knoedel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok quick question. I ordered a cable and would like to connect my Samsung galaxy s7 directly to my switch and use the nxloader app for Android.
Is this ok or could it damage my console?

The cable is a micro usb to usb c cable from Amazon.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I disagree with you. You clearly don't know what you're talking about ... Go back to school rather than browsing the "internet" for these "evidences."

Let me see if I am understanding this right, your argument is I have no idea what I'm talking about because I provided evidence? First off, you asked for evidence, and I provided that evidence to back my claims citing Google, Cnet, Nintendo, Amazon, and other leading technical journals and tech companies. What have you provided? You are just lashing out now due to a bruised ego, and if you really are in the computer science field, you really need to be willing to change your views based on the evidence. This is about protecting members, and I don't think it's a good idea to be telling people to use cables that the industry has confirmed is dangerous.

I'm sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but in the end facts are what matter and the facts state using a A to C cable without a 56ohm resistor will damage hardware.

Ok quick question. I ordered a cable and would like to connect my Samsung galaxy s7 directly to my switch and use the nxloader app for Android.
Is this ok or could it damage my console?

The cable is a micro usb to usb c cable from Amazon.

Sure, could you please provide a link?

Last edited by Shadow LAG,

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
First off, you asked for evidence, and I provided that evidence to back my claims citing Google, Cnet, Nintendo, Amazon, and other leading technical journals and tech companies. What have you provided? You are just lashing out now due to a bruised ego, and if you really are in the computer science field, you really need to be willing to change your views based on the evidence. This is about protecting members, and I don't think it's a good idea to be telling people to use cables that the industry has confirmed is dangerous.

I'm sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but in the end facts are what matter and the facts state using a A to C cable without a 56ohm resistor will damage hardware.
Okay so maybe we got each other off on the wrong foot, sorry for the attacks. For me this matter is really highly debatable as our principles in theory, technicality, and in practice are against the claims online. But you're right, until one of two sides is proven correct, the best and safe thing to do is just to follow what Nintendo is telling. There is no hurt in doing that, other than you'll have to spend a few more bucks.

I was wrong for attacking you, please forgive me.

King_Knoedel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First off, you asked for evidence, and I provided that evidence to back my claims citing Google, Cnet, Nintendo, Amazon, and other leading technical journals and tech companies. What have you provided? You are just lashing out now due to a bruised ego, and if you really are in the computer science field, you really need to be willing to change your views based on the evidence. This is about protecting members, and I don't think it's a good idea to be telling people to use cables that the industry has confirmed is dangerous.

Sure, could you please provide a link?
I would like to provide you a link but unfortunately I'm not allowed because this is a new account and I can't post links. This is the cable description from Amazon:
AmazonBasics - Verbindungskabel, USB Typ C auf Micro-USB Typ B, USB 2.0, 0,9 m, Schwarz
Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so maybe we got each other off on the wrong foot, sorry for the attacks. For me this matter is really highly debatable as our principles in theory, technicality, and in practice are against the claims online. But you're right, until one of two sides is proven correct, the best and safe thing to do is just to follow what Nintendo is telling. There is no hurt in doing that, other than you'll have to spend a few more bucks.

I was wrong for attacking you, please forgive me.

No worries. I understand.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would like to provide you a link but unfortunately I'm not allowed because this is a new account and I can't post links. This is the cable description from Amazon:
AmazonBasics - Verbindungskabel, USB Typ C auf Micro-USB Typ B, USB 2.0, 0,9 m, Schwarz
Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L

Appears to be certified by USB-IF to be compliant. Should be fine

Reactions: annson24

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The

WadsRUs

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just to clarify regarding the resistance of the resistor in the cable - some people are stating that it's 56 Ohms - it's NOT! It's 56 K Ohms. That K makes an important difference.

Reactions: Shadow LAG

scary_dog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found this article which might be helpful in clearing confusion here.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...blame_for_third-party_docks_bricking_consoles

tldr; If Nintendo has used a non-standard spec for its USB-C connection, then third-party accessory makers - who will be making sure their products are compliant - could unknowingly be causing Switch consoles to brick themselves. The end result? Nintendo forces you to only purchase docks and power supplies it has produced or has licensed other companies to produce.

Last edited by scary_dog,

scary_dog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by scary_dog,

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Now that's worrying! I have been using Samsung Galaxy S8 cable all this time and was quite confident it is the thing to do... Is this cable okay to use?

Reactions: charlieb

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that's worrying! I have been using Samsung Galaxy S8 cable all this time and was quite confident it is the thing to do... Is this cable okay to use?
If it came from the samsung manufacturer, you should be fine. It's the off brand cheap cables you need to worry about.

Just to clarify regarding the resistance of the resistor in the cable - some people are stating that it's 56 Ohms - it's NOT! It's 56 K Ohms. That K makes an important difference.
This is correct.

what about usb c to usb c cable?

This is what I use. You shouldn't have any problems with these.

Last edited by Shadow LAG,
Reactions: Zumoly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Float like a butterfly burns when I pee lol