Homebrew USB 3.0 Compatibility?

secretchaos1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Recently my old external HDD broke down (the hard drive itself failed, and the enclosure itself has been getting screwey with me as well) so I've been looking into getting a new one. USB 3.0 seems to be the norm nowadays, and from what I can tell it works perfectly fine with USB loaders under d2x cios. Does this remain true for emulators as well? Or would I face issues trying to load roms from a USB 3.0 device?
Thanks in advance.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't have a problem. This picture should help clear it up.

USB-standard-A-pair.jpg

USB 3.0 has legacy USB 2.0 support built-in. This is because the actual lines for the USB 3.0 connection is separate from the standard USB 2.0 lines. If the device(s) can use the USB 3.0 lines, then they will. Otherwise, they'll use the 2.0 lines.

Reactions: 1 person

secretchaos1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah alright, I just read a few posts mentioning compatibility issues before some updates to cios were made. They were pretty old, so I was just looking for confirmation. Thanks so much for helping me out.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's not only usb 3.0 that matters. Some premade usb drives spindown after a period of non activity, and the feature can't be turned off.
I also noticed some usb 3.0 that initialise slower than usb 2.0 ones when used on usb 2.0. I prefer a low cost enclosure with a 2.5 inch laptop drive in it. If it doesn't work properly, it's just the enclosure that needs to be replaced, not the whole drive.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The only things that currently fully support usb 3.0 are newer computers made in the last 2 years. If the drive is primarily going to be for the Wii I would recommend sticking with the old 2.0 standard. I've seen problems with some usb 3 drives not being recognized correctly by the Wii but perhaps you should check out the usb device compatibility list here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List and see what drives are compatible before purchase...my brother in-law had recognition issues with a Toshiba canvio 1tb portable usb 3 drive being recognized by any loaders.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1