Hacking USB 2.0 ?

Dispel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok, just saw this http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS58_Installer

so basically up till now w/o IOS58 Wii's USB ports worked @ 1.x ? and this adds 2.0 support ? or am I misunderstanding something ?

I play from a USB HDD via CFG Loader - will installing this enable USB 2.0 for it and thus give more speed and faster loading times ? if not - what exactly does it do ?

thanks and sorry for the n00b question
yaywii.gif

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
-.-'

IOS58 adds official USB 2.0 support from Nintendo/BroadOn, because the camera for the game "Your Shape" needs higher transfer rate than USB 1.1 can give. Team Twiizers now updated the HBC to use it, meaning you have USB 2.0 for loading applications. Also, other Homebrew applications (like WiiMC, Emulators) can/have also be/been updated to use IOS58 and gain official USB 2.0-Speed. The great thing about it is, because Your Shape needs this IOS, Ninty can't stub it, meaning they can't block USB 2.0 for Homebrew-Applications.

Now, USBLoaders use a cIOS, a custom made IOS, which an unofficial USB 2.0 Driver (or whatever). Meaning that Ninty will try to block it, because no game relies on it. The cIOS gives you USB 2.0, but Nintendo tries to block it, so it's actually the worse solution.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not exactly. This is the first official way to run the USB ports at EHCI High-Speed, the USB loaders had already used a hack (that requires IOS hacks and is fairly dirty, making some developers shy away from it) to achieve it for ISO loading.

EDIT: Ninja'd. The "Not exactly" is directed at the OP, not at Blue-K.

Dispel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ah, so basically I'm already @ USB 2.0 with my USB loading, but it was unofficial and now it's official

ok

QUOTE said:
Now, USBLoaders use a cIOS, a custom made IOS, which an unofficial USB 2.0 Driver (or whatever)
I assume here it's meant which is an, then it makes perfect sense

thanks for the answer

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
KyleJCrb said:
USB loaders aren't using IOS58, so this won't make any difference for those. Yet.
The thing is, the USB Loading would take more than just USB 2.0 support to actually work, so you'd need some kind of modified IOS anyway.

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
-.-'

IOS58 adds official USB 2.0 support from Nintendo/BroadOn, because the camera for the game "Your Shape" needs higher transfer rate than USB 1.1 can give. Team Twiizers now updated the HBC to use it, meaning you have USB 2.0 for loading applications. Also, other Homebrew applications (like WiiMC, Emulators) can/have also be/been updated to use IOS58 and gain official USB 2.0-Speed. The great thing about it is, because Your Shape needs this IOS, Ninty can't stub it, meaning they can't block USB 2.0 for Homebrew-Applications.

Now, USBLoaders use a cIOS, a custom made IOS, which an unofficial USB 2.0 Driver (or whatever). Meaning that Ninty will try to block it, because no game relies on it. The cIOS gives you USB 2.0, but Nintendo tries to block it, so it's actually the worse solution.
Nice summary.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
QUOTE said:
The cIOS gives you USB 2.0, but Nintendo tries to block it, so it's actually the worse solution.
it would be worse if Nintendo wouldn't block HBC with every update. cIOS or not cIOS - it doesn't matter much - with every new Nintendo update all it gets wiped. Actually, cIOS has more chances to survive update if you will install couple cIOSes into different not common slots. Nintendo stubs only well known cIOS slotes like 222,223,249,250.. If you will install cIOS into slot 230 for example, it has more chances to survive update. Bootmii, HBC have no chance to survive update. These are too common, very known things.

Actually, you even don't need cIOS. You need patched IOS with known "opened holes" in order to restore your favorite apps and channels after update.

Starting from SM 4.2 update, there are no new features, so i don't understand whay people who like to use homebrew, updating their consoles. May be they have not enough "fuck" in their real life, so they preffer to put their wii in nearly unhackable state and then moan for new hacks. In this case their life become more interesting
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)