Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hYEJu.png

The United States' Navy has announced plans to phase out its mine-clearing dolphin program, which will be replaced by the use of undersea robots.

Oh, and if you weren't aware, the United States' Navy has a mine-clearing dolphin program (it's about 50 years old, in fact). What, did you think it was all fun and games with Flipper and his ilk?

“We’re in a period of transition,” explains Captain Frank Linkous, head of the US Navy’s Mine Warfare Branch. After nearly 50 years, he says, the Navy plans to phase out its Sea Mammal Program and retire its pods of dolphins and sea lions that are currently used to help locate – and in some cases destroy – sea mines.

“In general, we’re looking to phase out that program beginning in fiscal year 2017,” says Linkous.

Swimming into their place is a new generation of robotic mine hunters, he says. But, the shift comes at a critical time. Earlier this year, Iran threatened to mine the Strait of Hormuz, shutting down the critical waterway to commerce. That threat prompted a renewed debate over investment in mine warfare technology, which many naval experts feel has been long neglected.
arrow.gif
BBC

As it turns out, dolphins are good for more than just tricks at SeaWorld and scaring Tyra Banks. They've got keen sense, which makes them able to sniff out underwater mines. The only problem is that caring for and training the dolphins takes up a lot of money.

And so, enter the robots. While some dolphins may continue to be used past 2017 for specialized missions, these mechanized replacements (called the "Kingfish", har har har) should prove to be an easier, more cost effective alternative.

I can appreciate mine-fighting dolphins as much as the next guy, but the US Navy does have a point. With this new technology cheap and available, well, what's the porpoise?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Are the robots related to Minecraft that everyone talks about nowadays? :creep:

On a serious note, I'm surprised this hasn't been done before with all the underwater tech available for for example old ship hunters.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's worth remembering that the Navy does go out of their way to keep the dolphins safe; the dolphins only locate the mines, not take them out kamikaze style.

Partially because hey, no one wants the animals to get hurt, and partially because the dolphins are so damn expensive, you couldn't afford to lose any.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, im making my first gd level