urgent problem

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by j2011, Jun 1, 2009.

Jun 1, 2009

urgent problem by j2011 at 5:08 PM (812 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. j2011
    OP

Newcomer j2011 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Just got my brand new 3-in-1 today, and after taking the screw off the casing, to put into a shell for my DS phat, i dropped it, and a small piece broke off.

[​IMG]

The piece that broke was on the right hand side of teh circuit board, underneath what i think is the rumble generator
    correct me if i'm wrong.

What i want to know is, does anybody know what this part does.
    like, is it a bit of memory? and will it still function without it?

i have a worried feeling that i've lost this peice, but i'm currently scouring my bedroom floor.

does anyone also know if it would be possible to buy a replacement from somewhere to solder back on?

thanks for any help

Edit: I've inserted it into the DS, and so far, have managed to copy a game to NOR, managed to switch on rumble, and managed to boot up the web browser.

The rumble isn't working perfectly, as the little thing that spins to create the rumble doesn't have enough space to move insite the cartridge, but this is okay as i didn't really buy it for the rumble.

Is it possible that the little piece i lost from the circuit board was just a piece that connects the NOR or PSRAM to the rest of the circuit board?
    this would mean that games would copy over slower, but would still boot and play fine.
    This could be possible, as Golden sun took quite a while to copy to NOR, but maybe this is normal.

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
  3. j2011
    OP

United Kingdom
    I looked there and i think i have the 3-in-1 plus.

if you look at that picture, the missing piece is the one that connects where it says "C25" and "D3", underneath the rumble.

do you know what this does?

will it affect the use of my 3-in-1?
    because so far, everything seems to be working, except saving, but i think that is a problem with patching the roms etc.

4. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Can't really tell by your blurry pic (use macro mode when taking pictures this close). It kind of looks like a capacitor. Do you have a soldering iron? You can probably solder it back if you have steady hands. Just make sure it's facing the right way (postive vs negative terminal).

5. j2011
    OP

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

That's a picture of the circuit board there, taken from http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=130659

It's the little metal bit with the brown band around it, connecting where it says "C25" and "D3" on the circuit board.

do you have any idea what it's for?
    what exactly does a capacitor do, and how would it affect the usability of my 3-in-1?

I managed to find it now, on my bedroom floor, but i'd rather find out what it does before soldering it back on, just incase i do any damage.

6. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    it is a SMT resistor, you don't need it if your only playing gba games, you need it for the rumble mode.

7. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    it is a SMT resistor, you don't need it if your only playing gba games, you need it for the rumble mode.

8. j2011
    OP

United Kingdom

wow.

thanks for that.
    that's cheered me up loads, because rumble wasn't really why i bought it.
    i got it mostly for gba games, and partly for RAM.
    i already noticed that the rumble wasn't working great.

thanks for clearing that up. (Y)