Upscale games upto 1080p.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ninpo5537, Jan 6, 2010.

Jan 6, 2010

Upscale games upto 1080p. by ninpo5537 at 11:59 PM (6,709 Views / 0 Likes) 50 replies

1. ninpo5537
    OP

Newcomer ninpo5537 Member

United Kingdom
    is it possible?

Just as the Dolphin emulator can upscale all wii & gc games, and they look better for it,
    or is this impossible due to the hardware limitations of the wii console.

2. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    On Dolphin it is. But on Wii, impossible.

The GPU can hardly handle 480p, yet along 1080p.

3. hughjass

Member hughjass GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm working on a demodulator which upgrades the wii though, so 1080p will be possible

4. MrKill

Member MrKill GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Nice, it will probably run well for little games (like wiiware) without big lagging. Good luck in your work.

5. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    If the 480p were upscaled correctly, it wouldn't look too bad. People go for size, plasma or lcd, 24p support and stuff when choosing a tv and not for good upscaling capability. No people looking for it -> it's underdeveloped and tvs with it just don't exist.

Watch a DVD that is upscaled by a ps3. And then watch it a DVD player, upscaled by your tv. Only if it's both times the same quality, you can say you have a good tv. (and if it's good for other reasons of course)

6. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Dolphin doesn't upscale. It actually renders the game in 720p or 1080p.

Wiipower is correct. I must say though, the quality of internal upscalers has gone up quite a bit in the last year, for sure they have if you have a good LCD, and not the bottom of the line Costco special. I'll explain a bit for those that don't understand upscaling vs native rendering.

Let's say you have a 1080P native set (like I do). You feed it a 480P signal, or any signal less than 1080P for that matter, and the internal upscaler of the TV upscales it to 1080P, because that is the only resolution the TV is capable of displaying in.

So what about all the upscaling DVD players out there? There must be some reason for that. Well yes there is. Like Wiipower said, the internal upscaler on quite a lot of TVs is shit. So you have a DVD player with an upscaler that does a better job of it, and then feeds your TV a native signal. Generally though, and certainly if you have a good TV with a good built in upscaler, any kind of external upscaling is at best worthless, and sometimes even makes the picture look worse.

Anyway, any kind of magic box, or homwbrew, or addon that promises to upscale the Wii and make it look better is bullshit. The only way to ever see a Wii game look better than the 480P it puts out right now is Dolphin, or if/when Nintendo ever releases a backwards compatible HD Wii 2 or whatever.

7. wadzinsky

Newcomer wadzinsky Advanced Member

United States

I think people are mis-led by that whole upscaling thing. Upscaling DOESN'T improve quality. It merely takes a small picture and makes it bigger. It doesn't add quality. I've noticed no improvement in my DVD movies watching them upscaled by my PS3 vs watching them on a plain old Sony DVD player. It's purely just a marketing scheme in my opinion.

8. Daco

Banned Daco Banned

Belgium
    wadzinsky is correct

upscaling = resizing

hence why 640x480 (default pal50 tv resolution) can look horrible on some big ass LCD TV

9. Shonk

Newcomer Shonk Advanced Member

United States
    Pal is 720x576

10. WiiPower

Germany
    It looks horrible, because it is not upscaled correctly. If you, let's say, upscale from 640x480 to 1280x960, you could just quadruple each pixel and the picture is upscaled. But everybody should know from image editing programs, that this looks bad, and you usually use more complex algorithms to resize pictures. And that's something where the developers of tvs actively save money(and energy, yes).

11. alcaholjunkie

Member alcaholjunkie GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    In my own experience, different up-scaling boxes give you different results.

Got one box which makes pixels look tall, which makes the upscaling look crap. And got another box which does a fantastic job at upscaling from SD to 1080p.

Of course it's not as good as real 1080p, but if the upscaler filters, smooths, etc.. the image properly it will look pretty decent, even on a large TV. [​IMG]

note: The upscaler boxes I use mostly are DVB-T boxes with DVD drive + HDD for recording with a bunch of different inputs at the back. [​IMG] (expensive if you just want it for upscaling though, lol)

12. roku93

Member roku93 GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    I don't have a full HD tv, just some crappy old CRT, but I was wondering is there such thing as an upscaler box you could put your wii through? I have witnessed the power of upscaling at my friends ~100" where even DVD's look watchable from two meters far..

Edit: Seems there is..

13. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    They also depend on what type of signal you give them.

TV/DVD are usually natural images ( i.e. they are pictures of something real ) while lowres computer games ( like the Wii ) have different properties.

A static score in front of a scrolling background for instance, is very difficult to upscale.

14. alcaholjunkie

Member alcaholjunkie GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It still comes down to how good the actual upscaler is though. [​IMG] Some would be able to handle the "non-natural" images better than others. [​IMG]

15. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Yes, but one that you've seen doing great upscaling dvd's might not look so good upscalling the Wii.

16. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    I actually would like him to try to make one. If you need a Betatester I can try [​IMG] I just need to get the HD cables first.

17. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    Dude, it is impossible. The hardware won't support it.

18. morcar

Member morcar GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    ok i may get the piss taking out of me here but as the specs are close to the first xbox just look at the xbox doing 1080p cuz it is slow as f**k.

Stick to what the Wii knows and use a component cable and a hdtv or use a really good vga box.

19. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    hmm, first Xbox have 1080i support, but I don't think it manage 1080p.

20. WiiPower

Germany
    Are you guys seriously talking about the wii running wii games at 1080p???

Not even ps3 and xbox360 do 1080p on all their games. And on some games it's cheated badly and use 960x1080(Gran Turismo 5) instead of 1920x1080. And the majority is only 720p. Anyways to play anything at 1080p instead of 480p, you need to increase the processing power by more than 4 times, not speaking of the bigger memory requirement.