Gaming Upgrading to Windows 7

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm planning to upgrade my Windows Vista computer to Windows 7. I don't have any main, particular reason upgrading to Windows 7. I guess I'm just upgrading because I want the looks of Windows 7 and I'm somewhat of a collector. If I see something that I like, I usually try my best to get it. Yeah, yeah, pretty childish of me.

Anyways...I just want to ask a few questions about upgrading.

First of all, I checked if my computer was capable of upgrading to Windows 7 by using Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. It turns out that my computer is capable of upgrading to Windows 7. Everything passed.

Second of all, I'm not upgrading by using a CD or a bought Disk. I'm....you know what cheap people do. So are there any Advantages or Disadvantages of upgrading to Windows 7 by you-know-what-ing it? I already know that there will be possible viruses.

Third of all, I just made a Windows Recovery Disk today, just in case the Windows 7 Installation goes horrendously wrong for some reason. I want to know if it is usable or not. Not sure if I can post this or not...but I downloaded THIS 120 MB file known to be the Windows Recovery Files. Is that correct? If so, then how can I use the Windows Recovery Disk to test if it works or not?

And finally...are there any risks that I should be notified about when it comes to Windows 7 Installation?

Those are all the questions I have for now. I have at least 10 more hours until the download is done, so I'll be going to sleep and leave the computer on for the night.

Any help and tips are appreciated, instead of a crapload of spam.

ecchi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.lmgtfy.com
XP
Country
Is it safe?

No. All depends where you got it from.

are there any risks that I should be notified about when it comes to Windows 7 Installation?

Make sure all your graphics card drivers are able to be installed on Windows 7, which is the likely case.

Gamer

DS Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I am r4ymond said:
Third of all, I just made a Windows Recovery Disk today, just in case the Windows 7 Installation goes horrendously wrong for some reason. I want to know if it is usable or not. Not sure if I can post this or not...but I downloaded THIS 120 MB file known to be the Windows Recovery Files. Is that correct? If so, then how can I use the Windows Recovery Disk to test if it works or not?

I cannot comment about the rest as I haven't tried it myself, but I can say that the Vista Recovery Disk that's about 120MB it's ONLY for recovering from corrupted or bad windows boot (the booting process that's it), but when something is really messed up, you won't be able to repair or reinstall Vista (for that you would need a full Windows Vista DVD copy, but I guess that would be a bit pointless since you'll have the full Windows 7 DVD).

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
I have been using Windows 7 since alpha on my HP Compaq 6510b.
The beta of windows 7 was more stable for than windows vista was.
I have never had any problems with windows 7. The only thing i miss from windows xp is the serch tool.
The installation is easy as with any windows installation.
If you aren't buying it, but insteed download it from a torrent site. Serch for windows 7 then filter by highest seeders. after that read the comments on the torrent.

Hope that's help you a bit
ninja.gif

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies.

I just realized that the blank CD I have can only handle 700 MB, while the ISO is 3 Gigs. Looks like I won't be installing Windows 7 for quite a while until I get my hands on a CD that can hold 3 Gigs.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You don't have to burn it
unsure.gif

You can just run the installer in the iso or use Daemon Tools to emulate a cd drive.

It should be fast that way, since it's not running from the disk but the hdd

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
A simple 4.7GB DvD from Tesco's will work.

If it can handle Vista fine then it can handle 7.
There are many copies of 7 floating around, I'd suggest grabbing an un-modified copy as there are many modified versions out there, not saying they don't work but un-modded would just be better.

No risks, Installation is smooth tbh, in the Hard Drive/Local Disk, there will be a folder called Windows.old(if it's an upgrade) and there will be all your files from Vista, if you don't need just delete it, or copy over everything you need and then delete.
So no worrying about putting everything you need on a USB when it'll already be there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Final Fantasy crystal chronicles