Gaming Upgrading my HDD

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i was wondering, if i takr out my hdd and replace it with a new one on a laptop, how will i re-install my OS? i am not worried about my programs *( i have nothing worth keeping
tongue.gif
)*

Is it safe just to replace it? will teh pc be like new? can i use the same LEGIT install key? since this is the same pc. and can i put in SSD?

Now,anything i should be worried about? or carefull apon?

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1. You'd "re-install" like you would any other time. With a disc.
2. Should be safe.
3. Most likely.
4. Yeah.
5. If you have money to burn, sure.
6. No
7. Just don't mess up taking out the old one/putting in the new one.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Godly read/write speeds. I personally would wait until the size of them goes up + prices go down.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Eh, might just get a 500 GB HDD then put the 300 GB in my PS3

Posts merged

Eh, might just get a 500 GB HDD then put the 300 GB in my PS3.

And use the 120 GB from the ps3 as a back up... or.... i have no ideas
tongue.gif

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hat was what i was thinking.. maybe a dual boot... but i would know know how
tongue.gif
i did not like ubuntu on my vm...

And i wanna start fresh.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ifish said:
Cool. Thankies!!

That is the advantage abut using an SSD?

fast read/write speeds + very fast access times (which makes your OS and everything on the SSD feel very snappy)

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SSD are also less prone to mechanical failure, they have no moving parts unlike traditional hard drives. That said, they can wear out the flash memory eventually from constant writing to the same sector. Chances of this is reduced considerably as the firmware on the drive makes it so that writes are written to random parts of the drive and not the same sector over and over.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I used Acronis Migrate Easy to copy my Windows install, all files, programs and settings to a bigger hard drive. Download the demo version, I think it gives you about 3 clones or something before you need to buy it, and you only need to use it once anyway.
yay.gif

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edhel said:
ifish said:
Cool, thanks!

Would this 300GB drive i have in my laptop, work in my PS3?

If it's a 2.5 inch SATA it should be. Just format it to FAT32, not NTFS.

My current one is an HDD.... wait... mine is ntfs... why is that? and what is bad about it? i thought the PS3 will formate it for me!

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
SSD are also less prone to mechanical failure, they have no moving parts unlike traditional hard drives. That said, they can wear out the flash memory eventually from constant writing to the same sector. Chances of this is reduced considerably as the firmware on the drive makes it so that writes are written to random parts of the drive and not the same sector over and over.
After the math even consumer-grade MLC drives have virtually no chance of "wearing out." Writing to an 80GB model (with market average write speeds) at the max rated speed 24/7 would still take about a year to wear out, and obviously very few consumers will even come close to such abuse.

Sidenote: The feature you refer to ("wear-leveling") generally doesn't allocate sectors randomly. There is logic involved which is designed to try and distribute evenly across the entire drive.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ifish said:
My current one is an HDD.... wait... mine is ntfs... why is that? and what is bad about it? i thought the PS3 will formate it for me!

It's either going to be IDE (Parallel ATA) or a SATA drive. Newer laptops tend to have SATA drives. NTFS is just the prefered filesystem Windows now uses. The PS3 cannot read that type. I'm pretty sure the PS3 will prompt you to format it anyway.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Just to add for SSDs, whilst the price is high, the boost in performance is marked. The most obvious difference is that Windows tends to load in around half the time (compared to HDDs).

IIRC, it takes around 27-36 seconds to load Windows 7 on a SSD, and 59-160 seconds on a HDD. Obviously this is also affected by quality of drive and of the system itself (CPU/RAM/chipset).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ooowwww a new way for me to beat NFS 510 :D @SylverReZ
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Yeah, believe you can do PSP games as well. But a Pi5 is much powerful in comparison.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure about other models of Pi4 but the Pi 4 B with 8GBs OCed to 2Ghz handles PSP really great except like 1 game I found and it is playable it just looks bad lol Motor Storm Arctic something or other.
    Other games I can have turned up to like 2X and all kinds of enhancements, Motorstorm hmmm nope 1X and no enhancements lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Waiting for Anbernic's rg[whatever]SP price announcement, gimme.
    +1
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo