Hacking Upgrade or not? before doing the softmod

cylon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I recently modded my V4.2E Wii using the CompleteSoftMod guide. The instructions were very clear and the process could not have been easier. I have since backed up my collection of over 30 games onto USB using WiiFlow's Install Game feature, and without exception everything works!

Because of the better functionality I have due to the softmod and apps I would now like to mod my second Wii. This Wii is older and is still V3.4E. Is there anything to be gained by upgrading this unit to V4.2E before doing the softmod or should I leave this unit at V3.4E? I understand that the earlier version may give me better brick protection by allowing BootMii to be installed into boot2, but do I loose anything by not going to V4.2E?

I have had a good look around looking for advice on this topic but haven't seen any suggestions. Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
cylon

kingofsnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
4.2 does not break the ability to install bootmii as boot2.
4.2 does have a few advantages over 3.4 in my opinion.
SD card menu for wiiware etc. all the latest IOS's will also be installed for the newer games.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'd just update to 4.2 actually
Steps are the same (well, almost) and you gain some advantages:
  • SD card menu
  • Update IOSs
  • Priiloader/Startpatch hacks available
  • Themes
smile.gif

atrophis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the Wii's I have hacked, least mine, I have been upgrading first to ensure they are on the latest SM. If anything goes wrong with that, you can at least get the unit replaced on someone else dime.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I personally dont recommend updating via nintendo... although their update code is not as buggy as once thought... they still update your boot2 (this doesn't affect the ability to install bootmii as boot2, but it will temporarily uninstall it if it already exists)... but if your boot2 is updated to boot2v4 you wont be able to downgrade to SMs lower than 4.0.

So you wouldn't be losing much if you upgrade via ninty, as 4.1 and 4.2 are the best SMs anyways (in my opinion) and they can be fully hacked anyways.

So its up to you, it will probably be easiest for you to just update via ninty, but the offline method is faster (assuming you already have the wads) and it will leave your boot2 untouched

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
XFlak said:
but if your boot2 is updated to boot2v4 you wont be able to downgrade to SMs lower than 4.0.
You can perfectly downgrade a wii with boot2v4
It's only the hardware change in LU64+ models combined with boot2v4 that causes bricks
tongue.gif

atrophis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RockmanForte said:
linuxares said:
I recommend never to downgrade

Why ? Is something wrong with downgrade ?

What do you gain from downgrading? Every time I see a thread that has the word "downgrade", it usually goes like this... "Don't use this if you have downgraded, it will brick your Wii".

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really ? I don't think so because I had 3.4u and I downgraded it to 3.2u about a year and 1/2 months ago without a problem. Now, I just upgrade using dop mii for photo and stuff. I still do not have a problem either.

cylon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Based on the concensus from what you all have said I think I will do the upgrade via Nintendo then follow the same procedure I used for my 1st Wii.

Thanks for your advice guys, very much appreciated.

Cheers,
cylon

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
atrophis said:
RockmanForte said:
linuxares said:
I recommend never to downgrade

Why ? Is something wrong with downgrade ?

What do you gain from downgrading? Every time I see a thread that has the word "downgrade", it usually goes like this... "Don't use this if you have downgraded, it will brick your Wii".

Exactly. What's the point in downgrading?

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cylon said:
Based on the concensus from what you all have said I think I will do the upgrade via Nintendo then follow the same procedure I used for my 1st Wii.

Cheers,
cylon
didnt everyone say NOT to update thru ninty.......... I mean since the stickied guide has the update with it?

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
TRushInfo said:
cylon said:

Cheers,
cylon
didnt everyone say NOT to update thru ninty.......... I mean since the stickied guide has the update with it?

No they did not. Update via Ninty, the follow the stickied guide. You can't go wrong.

leondmsmith

Trophies
XP
Country
best way is to update via the stickied guide! no problems that way, upgrading via nintendo can sometimes get rid of bootmii boot2!

Also - post 200 - YAY!!!!

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ConJ said:
TRushInfo said:
cylon said:

Cheers,
cylon

No they did not. Update via Ninty, the follow the stickied guide. You can't go wrong.

Oh, everyone except you...... hmmmmmm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway