Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
No what I meant is when I run the installer, I do a custom install and choose where to install 10 in the menu. What I mean is accidentally choosing to install Windows 10 over my Windows 7 HDD, I believe his suggestion was to prevent that.
Lol what. No no no, don't do that. Bwtter even, I have a dumb but efficient method. Just give a name to all of your drives/partitions, so you know what is what. That worked fine for me and my partitions to avoid confusion. :)

Reactions: the_randomizer

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol what. No no no, don't do that. Bwtter even, I have a dumb but efficient method. Just give a name to all of your drives/partitions, so you know what is what. That worked fine for me and my partitions to avoid confusion. :)
The suggestion was before I tried installing Windows 10. So after trying last night, it appeared that the previous version of Windows was untouched and depending on the circumstances, even the boot loader remained untouched on the previous Windows install. My partition on both virtual drive was one solid partition. I haven't been able to test all variables, as it was brief, and I could not see any apparent changes in the previous OS install. It is still his call on how to proceed. In the event if Windows 10 or 7 is not added to the list, it is easy to add it to the BCD store if need be. Also your idea is sound, it makes easier to tell which partition is which.
Sadly with Windows 10, it cannot even fully utilize my computer, not because of lack of drivers, but the lack of resource access that Windows 10 cannot even access. I need a Windows Server version to fully utilize my computer.

Edit: I forgot to mention that back in the old days, one must hide the OS when attempting to install another one on the same computer. Guess that not needed today.

Last edited by RandomUser,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

How much size should I give for Windows 10? Some guides say anywhere from 20 to 40 GB of allocated space :P

The suggestion was before I tried installing Windows 10. So after trying last night, it appeared that the previous version of Windows was untouched and depending on the circumstances, even the boot loader remained untouched on the previous Windows install. My partition on both virtual drive was one solid partition. I haven't been able to test all variables, as it was brief, and I could not see any apparent changes in the previous OS install. It is still his call on how to proceed. In the event if Windows 10 or 7 is not added to the list, it is easy to add it to the BCD store if need be. Also your idea is sound, it makes easier to tell which partition is which.
Sadly with Windows 10, it cannot even fully utilize my computer, not because of lack of drivers, but the lack of resource access that Windows 10 cannot even access. I need a Windows Server version to fully utilize my computer.

Edit: I forgot to mention that back in the old days, one must hide the OS when attempting to install another one on the same computer. Guess that not needed today.

Ah well it's okay, man, I'm grateful for all the feedback people have provided me so far. It sucks that some people can't fully utilize the OS due to hardware driver issues. This is another reason for me to try it out but not as a permanent OS, to see how well everything runs but not ruin my Windows 7 install. :P

Reactions: RandomUser

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
How much size should I give for Windows 10? Some guides say anywhere from 20 to 40 GB of allocated space :P
Go for the maximum possible space. If you can do 40 gb, then use it. Remember that installed programs take space too.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the only counter argument you've come up with? Pathetic.

Ignore him, if he can't contribute to the thread, he's not welcome on here.
Go for the maximum possible space. If you can do 40 gb, then use it. Remember that installed programs take space too.

Right, I can free up some space and definitely set aside a good amount for the OS and the drivers, etc :P

Reactions: VinsCool

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah well it's okay, man, I'm grateful for all the feedback people have provided me so far. It sucks that some people can't fully utilize the OS due to hardware driver issues. This is another reason for me to try it out but not as a permanent OS, to see how well everything runs but not ruin my Windows 7 install. :P
Well, it's like that for all consumer versions of Windows actually. It was done by Microsoft themselves, Including Pro version of Windows 8.1. The thing is they limit up to two physical processors per computer on those OS. To be able to use more then two, you must use the Server variant of the OS and my computer has 4 physical, processors. Also Server versions can access more RAM that the consumer grade cannot, even the x64 consumer versions. In fact Windows 7 x64 cannot use 256GB of RAM. Although for Windows 10 Pro, it supports 2TB of RAM, which is surprising. Another thing is that Windows Server 2016 is not even out yet, that's is like Windows 10 but with more access to resources and more professional or should I say more bland looking. Can always spruce it up though:P. I just mainly need the server version for access to more physical processors really, as already Windows 10 can access all of my RAM currently. I just don't have it physically installed yet. Maybe some day I will try to get it to boot into RAMdisk at some point. Now that is a whole another class of task to be done.

Last edited by RandomUser,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp