Hacking Updating to 4.0 questions

LiquidDragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just wanted a quick confirmation before I go ahead and update to 4.0. I am currently on 3.2U. I have homebrew and starfall installed. I also have bootmii installed, although I am not sure which type my Wii is using. Either the boot2 or ios. I think I may have tried installing both accidentally. I also have the d2pro chip installed. I don't think that will make a difference but I want to be sure of everything before I go ahead and update.

So I guess my question is, should i proceed with the update to 4.0 using the following guide? ULTIMATE System Menu 4.0 Guide

Any advice would be appreciated
smile.gif

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
although frowned upon, the official update does not ruin your homebrew capabilities. i was having problems with my software, long story short, i tried everything to fix it and reluctantly upgraded to 4.0 officially because i couldn't view the text on the homebrew software. the update did not affect anything, i had cios36 rev10, HBC 1.0.1, and backup launcher gamma 0.3 w/002 fix channel and mIOS with gamecube launcher xi. haven't tested GC games, because i don't really care if they don't work, but wii backups function just as they did on 3.2. just because its less likely to cause problems i would suggest to update through nintendo, others may not agree but it did nothing to affect my wii. i just ran the IOS60 (?) patcher to get wads to install and go to sd channel. maybe this is not the best way to go, but this is what i did and everything works beautifully.

LiquidDragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking about just doing the update through nintendo but then was reading and people are saying it CAN cause troubles. So i'm still a little iffy. Is there an app that canshow me which cios versions i have installed? Or should i do a downgrade and then update to cios36 rev10?

LiquidDragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So would my best option be updating through Nintendo or using the Waninoko update? And should i uninstall bootmii or leave it as is?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't uninstall bootmii, it won't hurt anything regardless of which version you installed. If you did a boot2 install it should boot up every time you start your Wii instead of the system menu. If as an IOS you can only load it from pressing home in the HBC and clicking load bootmii. If your Wii CAN install boot2 bootmii and you haven't yet, do it ASAP, and if it's not booting up at the start after it says successfully installed it's probably your sd card not supported by bootmii and using a different one should make it work.

Following the Ultimate guide you posted should work fine. Just make sure you have successfully installed some form of cIOS before updating either way.

Just try running the cIOS rev10 installer now and if that works, do steps 2-5 from the online guide in the ultimate 4.0 guide.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16