Hacking Updating from old firmware

Mori

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone. I recently bought a PSP (1003); surprisingly it had 2.01 firmware on it. Attempted to update it numerous times (using official 6.60 update from Sony's website) however I kept getting "game could not be started" error. Then I realised; maybe I'm updating too high - hence why it's not working.
So I tried with a lower firmware (3.0). It worked. However... I've tried updating with other official firmwares and they're all not working and keep repeating the "game could not be started" error.

I'm thinking that maybe the firmwares that I've downloaded aren't compatible - i.e they're American versions (I'm from UK so I'm guessing my PSP is European). Or well I'm hoping it's that as it means I can do something about it.
I've tried various firmware editions: 3.01, 3.02, 3.10, 3.70, 4.00.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Where are you placing the update? Sounds like a positioning error.

(Firmwares are non region specific)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you get an error code? Or just "The game cannot be started"?

Where are you sourcing the Firmwares? From a legit site?

Mori

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I've downloaded directly from Sony's website and tried through that way. Then tried through network update and got the same screen.
It has an error code also.
"The game could not be started"

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
What sort of memory stick are you using? If you hit triangle in the Memory Stick submenu does it say Magic Gate Supported or is it Unknown?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
That there's your problem....fake memory sticks are notorious for update issues.

Go grab yourself a SANDISK Pro Duo.

Mori

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ahahaha, thanks for the help. Ironically I bought the memory card separately to avoid getting a fake memory card :lol:

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Ahahaha, thanks for the help. Ironically I bought the memory card separately to avoid getting a fake memory card :lol:

Where did you buy it from? I'm prepped to facepalm if you say ebay or Amazon marketplace.

Mori

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Neither :P from CEX. Brick and mortar retailer. They sell pre-owned items, usually I've known them to check their goods to see if they're faulty. Lately when I've bought something from there it's not worked :sad:

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Neither :P from CEX. Brick and mortar retailer. They sell pre-owned items, usually I've known them to check their goods to see if they're faulty. Lately when I've bought something from there it's not worked :sad:

If you're taking it back and they don't give you your money back but want to give you a replacement make sure you take your PSP with you so you can ensure it's MG supported.

Ideally you'd go for a Sandisk stick as they generally perform better than Sony sticks.

Mori

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I've bought a Sandisk online through amazon. Here's hoping that works. Planning to take it back in a bit; sadly they only had Sony sticks available.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I've bought a Sandisk online through amazon. Here's hoping that works. Planning to take it back in a bit; sadly they only had Sony sticks available.

Fingers crossed it's legit. First thing you do when you get it should be to confirm that it doesn't come up as Unknown under the Magic Gate info in the XMB. Once that's out of the way you can worry about speed testing and the like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E