Updating Firmware and FFCC : RR

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by Soss, Nov 11, 2008.

Nov 11, 2008

Updating Firmware and FFCC : RR by Soss at 6:12 AM (955 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Soss
    OP

Newcomer Soss Newbie

Canada
    So I was checking out my games and what not and my NDSTT has been working great after I formatted it. I still receive these Rom Error = -7 on a few games I have tried. I looked at the site http://www.ndstt.com/en/download.html and downloaded the most recent firmware [v1.16] and I still receive these errors, also I have been trying to play the game Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring Of Fates. I have googled and searched this forum for a long time finding the answer to this and to my surprise there was an update just for that game. I tried updating it with the older version and I still received the dreaded "Thank You for Playing" Screen. On a side note if I used v1.16 Firmware it would have fixed that problem for FFCC: RR right?

Also I would like to ask basically to update my NDSTT all I have to do is replace the current "Eng" folder with the new one right?

Help is appreciated, Please and Thank You!

2. Hehe Moo

Member Hehe Moo Moo?

Australia
    Yes it should have fixed it. Ummm... I don't want to lie to you, so... I have no idea why is has this Rom Error crap. If that v1.16 didn't work for you, i dunno. Try reformatting or redownloading the rom.

This happened to me and I had to reformat several times. I don't know what did it, but after several reformats (try both FATs: FAT16 and FAT32) it finally worked.

Also, I haven't needed to reformat my DSTT in ages ever since I deleted a few unnecessary games off of my microSD card.

Sorry if I couldn't be of much use, but that's how I got it fixed. And thankfully, it was fixed.

3. Soss
    OP

Newcomer Soss Newbie

Canada
    Just wondering... What would a perfect SD Card Folder look like?

Also I recently just formatted my card after backing up my files. It was completely empty so then I inserted the new firmware v1.16 then put my games folder, moonshell, TTMENU, and _DS_Menu. And everytime i turn it on I get a screen with lines going down..

4. Hehe Moo

Member Hehe Moo Moo?

Australia
    Umm... I had all my games and their save files in separate folders.

eg: Animal Crossing Wild World ----> Animal Crossing Wild World.nds and Animal Crossing Wild World.sav

However, I recently discovered that this doesn't work with Rominator (an organizing program)

So i just chucked everything in a folder called Games. Without their own folders.

Also, my TTMenu folder is separate from the games folder, as well as TTMenu.dat and TTMenu.SYS.

What's this _DS_Menu? I don't have it...

If you have a screen with lines going down, then you're missing the TTMenu.dat and TTMenu.SYS files i think. This happened to me when I first got mine.

5. Soss
    OP

Newcomer Soss Newbie

Canada
    So basically so far in my SD Card I have:
    Eng
    Moonshell
    TTMENU
    _DS_MENU
    Games
    TTMENU.DAT

hmm.. I don't have TTMenu.SYS
    I even checked the original files from when I recieved my NDSTT, I just don't have it. =\
    Also a few games still do not work such as Kirby Super Star Ultra

6. Hehe Moo

Member Hehe Moo Moo?

Australia
    iunno, you'll have to find TTMenu.SYS somewhere. But anyhows...

The TTMENU folder should be the same as "eng". You've got two of the same thing, if I'm comprehending that correctly.

And I don't have a _DS_MENU ~ Does any1 know what this is?

7. Soss
    OP

Newcomer Soss Newbie

Canada
    Err Yeah, the ENG folder has TTMENU folder exactly like the one on the outside in the main part of the SD Card. Dang don't know how i'm going to find that TTMENU.SYS

OH ignore that I found the TTMENU.SYS after googling it for a minute.. Time to check and see if some of these work...

Dang... Nothing new has happened even after updating it with Firmware v1.16. Basically I just wasted like 1-2 hours of my time clearing my SDCard finding all the patch and files I needed to find out that I still get that Rom Error = -7 AND Final Fantasy still says the message
    "Thank You For Playing"
    Can anybody please help me with this...

8. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    First of all, TTMENU.SYS is created automatically the first time you run the firmware, so you don't need to find it.

When you install the firmware onto your microSD cart, you need to drag only the TTMENU.DAT file and TTMENU folder (along with its contents) to the top level of your microSD card. You do NOT need a "eng" folder on your microSD card.

Make a folder named "games" and place the .nds (and .sav files if you have any) in there.

As far as I know, firmware 1.16 should fix the Final Fantasy "Moogle of Death" problem.

-Bri

9. Soss
    OP

Newcomer Soss Newbie

Canada
    So I tried taking all contents out of ENG and putting it in the main part of my SD Card, they had to merge with other files since there were same named things, so right now I'm trying to see if I don't get moogles of death.

---Removing the ENG file completely and putting it in the main area of SD Card worked. Now my DSTT is fully updated and I don't get the Rom Error = - 7 anymore.
    Thanks Bri

10. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Normally when you upgrade the firmware, you want to first delete the TTMENU folder and TTMENU.DAT and TTMENU.SYS files from your microSD card (you can make a backup of your microSD card before doing this just in case). Then just copy the TTMENU folder and TTMENU.DAT file from the new firmware to your microSD card. That should be all there is to it -- no "merging" should be involved. The first time you run the new firmware, it should create a TTMENU.SYS file.

-Bri