Updating Drivers

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Midna, Aug 31, 2010.

Aug 31, 2010

Updating Drivers by Midna at 9:54 PM (957 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    My brother bough himself a new old computer for $80, and I installed Windows 7 on it. Now I'm trying to get a few games to work, chiefly Touhou. The computer has an "integrated graphics processor" (blech) and doesn't even support DirectX 9 properly. that's probably the problem, but someone suggested I update my graphics drivers too. All Google yields in that regard is a whole bunch of sites that want me to download a program, have it scan my computer, tell me I have a whole bunch of problems and that i should pay to fix them. Yeeeah, no. So how do I update my graphics drivers? dxdiag tells me I have a vga graphics driver (version 6.1.7600.16385) from late 2009 and that the driver model in unknown. Any help? Because of my parents, I've been saddled with Macs all my life.

Edit: The graphics chip is Intel 865G

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  3. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    You could open the case to find out the name and model of the motherboard. It's usually printed on it somewhere. Seeing as it's an integrated graphics card, finding out the name of the motherboard should help.
    Also chances are there isn't any Windows 7 drivers for it, for older hardware you may be even better off sticking to XP. You may be able to use Vista or XP drivers instead.

4. pitman

Member pitman Addicted to Magical Girls

Israel
    Did you even checked the official site ?

Never under any circumstance use any program that "scans" your computer for missing driver 99% of those want your money while the other 1% are virus/spyware.

5. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    Thought intel 865 did sound really old since i've got the 945GM in my old school laptop from 2006, from a quick google i got my guess confirmed and also got your question answered:
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/inte...b/cs-009180.htm
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...&iid=dc_rss
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030907.htm

afaik the card has to support DX9 to support Vista/7 and from the sound of it your "new" computer sounds really old so i wouldn't suggest running Win7 on it in the first place.

6. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    I think a downgrade to Windows XP is in order.

7. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Sorry double post, but I don't want the topic to slip down onto page 2 with an edit for this.

Can i downgrade to XP without losing the data that's on the compy right now?

8. pitman

Member pitman Addicted to Magical Girls

Israel
    If you have created at least 2 partitions just move everything that is essential/important to the one without Windows and you can just wipeout the partition with the windows and do a clean install on it.

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    What pitman said but also for future reference (also helps with no name network cards and the like) head on over to device manager and select the details tab of your device once you double click on it.
    This will provide the vendor ID and device ID which make for far better search terms or you can use http://www.pcidatabase.com/ or a site like it.