1. DaveC1964

OP DaveC1964 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    If i have a game I installed with FBI and needs updating I can just install the update cia file. The question is if say there are three update files from older to newer can I just install the newest one directly or do I need to update with the old one, then newer, then newest? I am guessing I can just install the one latest update file and be fine but want to make sure.

Also I see some update cia files with the tag (embedded update) . What does that mean, is it the whole game? If so I wouldn't use that one to update an existing install right?

Last edited by DaveC1964, Dec 3, 2020
  2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    The update will be overwritten if you install another one, so just install the latest one, it contains everything.

Yes, eShop games usually update the base game, instead of installing the update as a separate title. Retail games can't do that, since the cart itself can't be updated, so for retail games the update is always separate.

DaveC1964 likes this.
  3. DaveC1964

OP DaveC1964 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ok so if I have a game that has never been updated I can use the latest update and not need to update with the first, then second, etc. That is what I thought but wasn't sure.

Do you know what the (embedded update) cias are?
    Thanks

4. TurdPooCharger

United States
    Safeguard yourself from accidentally erasing your game progress. Backup your saves + exdata with Checkpoint or JKSM before updating or (re)installing a game.

fmkid and alexander1970 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - installed, Updating, update