Updating CIA games

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DapperDan227, Sep 29, 2018.

1. DapperDan227
    OP

DapperDan227 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2018
    United States
    So I've downloaded and installed some games via FBI however I notice most of them need update patch files as well. My question is, will I run the update the same way I installed the game with FBI, or is there any other steps I need to take? I ask because even after installing an update with FBI I still get the "Needs to update" message before launching and want to know if this is expected or if I did something wrong.

2. NFates

NFates Wants to understand™

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    Maybe you didn't install the latest update for that title.
    Use eShop normally to download updates and avoid the iso sites hassle.

3. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    For same region games, just use eshop, you can get updates regardless of whether you have the correct ticket for a game just fine, as they are under a different ID and you can even get updates for titles you don't have for that same reason. For out of region games, you can't use the eshop and it may be risky to even try (not sure though honestly about whether there's an actual risk, but updates will always fail), so you have to find the update CIA for the latest version. Little note though, unless it's an online game, very often you can easily play the game without any noticeable issues (eg: gamebreaking bugs or even common ones), so no need to bother updating everything.