Updating .CIA games

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Epic Tiger, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Epic Tiger
    OP

Epic Tiger Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indonesia
    is it possible for me to update my .cia games? How? I'm using menuhax (rxtools)

2. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Like ordinary, downloaded games.

3. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    First you should switch to luma3ds or even a9lh.
    But to answer the question yes you can,, thought the eshop or the home menu itself as long as it matches your region

4. Epic Tiger
    OP

Epic Tiger Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indonesia
    Did you need to delete the old version and download the latest version or?

5. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    No, you don't need to as long as you downloaded the previous update from eShop, therefore having a valid ticket.

6. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    and just like ordinary physical games,
    just like any game :)

SomeGamer likes this.
  7. CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Well the 3DS has two kinds of game updates:

1) Update Data
    is in the form of Update Data, which is what games like Mario Kart 7, Super Smash Bros., Terraria, and Shovel Knight use.
    This means that you download a patch and it applies it in such a way where it has it's own title and can be downloaded from the 3DS eShop, free of charge weather the game is installed or not. Typically this is used for games that are large in size, and often for games with physical releases, but is not limited to physical release games. Some games, such as SmileBASIC use this method anyway, I believe it is up to the developer how they want to handle this stuff.

2) Full Title Update
    This is in the form of the actual title on the 3DS eShop server being updated itself, and requires users to reinstall the entire game, overwriting the previous version. This is how games like 1001 spikes, Ironfall Invasion, Colors 3D, and a fairly sized pool of smaller eShop titles are updated. These require your 3DS have a valid ticket for downloading the game from the eShop, if the CIA you installed has a valid ticket in it, then this will work for you, however, most CIAs that are in popular distribution locations do not contain valid tickets, and when downloading the game, will error out at 99%. This will require you to either use one of the CDN methods for installing titles, such as freeShop or FBI with QR Codes from a particular site, or you can simply find an updated CIA, which is a tad on the harder side to accomplish.

As you can see, in either case, the answer is yes, you can update, but one is clearly easier than the other.

Quantumcat likes this.
  8. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    if you didn't get the update from the shop and the ticket was bad, deleting via most methods would not delete the ticket, which is imporant. fbi can get rid of the ticket.

SomeGamer likes this.
  9. fikatr

fikatr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
    First you should switch to a9lh.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  10. satan89

satan89 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2014
    India
    Bangalore
    Liar.

Anyway OP, what I did was fetch the update using ciangel homebrew and installed it with fbi. That updated the game. (Pokemon Y to 1.5)

cvskid likes this.
  11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Spooky cute.

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    No, he should switch to A9LH and Luma3DS. RXtools is no longer supported and keeping it around is a risk. And there's no reason to keep clinging to out of date entrypoints like Menuhax.

On topic, you can both download updates directly from Nintendo or install them through CIA or CIAngel.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jun 17, 2016
  12. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Don't even need A9LH for updating games. At the very least just switching to Luma3DS would be alright in his case.

satan89 likes this.
  13. satan89

satan89 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2014
    India
    Bangalore
    OP just asked how to update the game. He doesn't need a9lh for that.

Koko-Kun likes this.
  14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Spooky cute.

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    But he does need something safer than RXTools.

chaoskagami, Davidosky99 and satan89 like this.
  15. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    True, though menuhax rxTools -> menuhax Luma3DS transition is a lot easier than menuhax rxTools -> A9LH Luma3DS.

cvskid likes this.
  16. Epic Tiger
    OP

Epic Tiger Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indonesia
    So i just have to download game update.cia?

17. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    If you never updated the game before, or you only updated from the eShop you can continue to use the eShop

18. Epic Tiger
    OP

Epic Tiger Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indonesia
    If the game i wanted to update was .cia games can i updated it from eshop? Can i update a game with install game update.cia?

19. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    .CIA games are regular games that people download from the eShop. So these .cia games are no different from an official downloaded game. Just update it like one. There ARE update .cias, but I don't see why that's necessary unless you can't update through the eShop for certain reasons.
    Btw, switch to Luma3DS at the very least. Arm9Loaderhax would also be golden.

20. Epic Tiger
    OP

Epic Tiger Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indonesia
    thanks, how to install luma3ds? Is it better to separate sysnand and emunand or not?