Hacking Update the Wii or not?

EndlessNaraku

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey. I haven't been following the Wii scene for a long time... I am still in firmware 4.1.

Is it worth it to update my Wii to 4.3 and mod it or is it the same as 4.1?

Also, I would like to know if it is already possible to play Wii backups through a FAT or NTFS partition. If so, is the compatibility the same?

bjorno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
EndlessNaraku said:
Hey. I haven't been following the Wii scene for a long time... I am still in firmware 4.1.

Also, I would like to know if it is already possible to play Wii backups through a FAT or NTFS partition. If so, is the compatibility the same?

NO. DO NOT UPDATE! 4.3 adds NOTHING new, it only blocks exploits to hack the wii. Don't mess with your console when everything is working!! (think about, what if you mess up? Only for that update?? Was the update worth it to brick your wii?

Yes its already a long time possible to play wii backups through fat or ntfs.

Compatibility for games is the same.

I recommend FAT 32. Because I've had a lot of issues with NTFS. Don't want you to go through the way I did, so trust me and go for FAT 32. It will save you a lot of trouble and time
smile.gif

In the end it is your choice to follow my advice or not. Hope you don't pick the hard way to learn a lesson..

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
4.1 is the best version atm. No need to update. If you need just update some IOSes (like 56) and Shopping Channel, but only them.

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
EndlessNaraku said:

No, stick to 4.1, .3 brings nothing new, just more anti homebrew

QUOTEAlso, I would like to know if it is already possible to play Wii backups through a FAT or NTFS partition. If so, is the compatibility the same?

Yes ! The preferred method around here is FAT32, but i've been using NTFS for a while now and have no problems whatsoever. My preferred loader is WiiFlow.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EndlessNaraku said:
If you plan on using the Shopping Channel or playing anything through the disc channel, then it is worth it to update your IOS system files. Likewise, 4.1 did not include IOS58, which is the preferred IOS to use with the Homebrew Channel. IOS58 is also required for handy programs like WiiMC. If you want to update your IOS files but nothing else, since 4.3 brings nothing new to the table, follow this guide.

QUOTE(EndlessNaraku @ Jan 28 2011, 04:25 PM) Also, I would like to know if it is already possible to play Wii backups through a FAT or NTFS partition. If so, is the compatibility the same?
Yes, I know for certain that Configurable USB Loader supports FAT and NTFS partitions now; I believe WiiFlow does too if you would rather use that. The compatibility remains the same.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If you ever update to 4.3U make sure you got the latest hbc installed. (hackmii 1.08) It will overwrite all IOSses regarding to piracy (222,223,249,250) so once update is done, you´ll need those Cios to be re installed.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, if you use the Brawl exploit (or any others that have the latest hackmii) then install the homebrew channel with it before you update, it's safe. That's what I did.

EndlessNaraku

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the answers. Since 4.3 doesn't bring anything new, I won't update.

Lacius said:
If you plan on using the Shopping Channel or playing anything through the disc channel, then it is worth it to update your IOS system files. Likewise, 4.1 did not include IOS58, which is the preferred IOS to use with the Homebrew Channel. IOS58 is also required for handy programs like WiiMC. If you want to update your IOS files but nothing else, since 4.3 brings nothing new to the table, follow this guide.

Are you referring to the part of the guide where it says Setting up the SD Card?

Nintendo_Chick

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fat32 is better for the wii, because most homebrew doesn't work with ntfs, the main downside is you can't have files 4gb or bigger, but I doubt that'll be much of a problem. The only files I have over 4gb are some truecrypt volumes and vmware drives. This isn't a problem for usb loaders because wbfs managers just split the file if it's too big. You could also have 2 partitions, one fat32 and the other ntfs if you need to store some larger files.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EndlessNaraku said:
Are you referring to the part of the guide where it says Setting up the SD Card?
I am referring to the part of the guide that says Update to 4.2. It updates your system menu to 4.2, the latest firmware that still works with bannerbomb in case something goes wrong, and updates each IOS to its latest version from 4.3 without stubbing any cIOS.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
F. Lobot said:
Quick semi-related question: What firmware will Metroid Prime Trillogy (US) update my Wii to?

4.3 also breaks region free gaming.

Bootmii will also be deleted when updating.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hielkenator said:
F. Lobot said:
Quick semi-related question: What firmware will Metroid Prime Trillogy (US) update my Wii to?

4.3 also breaks region free gaming.

Bootmii will also be deleted when updating.

4.2 breaks to be exact. But, of course, the changes remains on 4.3

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just update ur cIOSs 2 the latest version(s) and also install IOS58 (Tantric's Installer) if u don't have it already!! lol

F. Lobot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zizer said:
F. Lobot said:

No need to update sys menu
The only reason I ask is because I want to load Bannerbomb off of an SDHC card, which requires 4.0 or higher.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them