235 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Have you NEVER used a save editor?

123 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Did you have spot pass turned on?

259 vote(s)
    32.7%
  4. Is your console linked to an NNID, and you were banned?

123 vote(s)
    15.5%
  5. Is your console NOT linked to an NNID and you were banned?

50 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. 791 voter(s)
  1. FateForWindows

FateForWindows GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Just because you weren't affected doesn't mean others weren't. We still have no idea how people of the CFW banwave (the one in the OP) got banned or how they could've prevented it.

2. TesseractStorm

TesseractStorm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'll say for what little it helps, haven't been banned. Had UM from freeshop but never updated or played it really.

3. MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject GBAtemp Regular

Do these bans happen if you've played online or will taking your 3ds online simply cause it?

4. TesseractStorm

United States
    So far there's no firm consensus. Closest thing to a theory I've seen is that using .cia homebrew can lead to a ban.

The current wave seems to be related to the 1.2 update for Pokemon USUM. From what I've seen a majority of bans seem to have some connection to the Pokemon games, one reason I don't play them except the one legit one I have and no cheats, hacks, or mods on it.

5. Purge

Purge GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There is no proof that playing a pirated copy of USUM 1.2 results in a ban. Pokémon is a popular game. A lot of the people who got banned are naturally going to have an updated version of this game on their 3ds.

There are plenty of people, such as myself, who also have USUM 1.2 and haven’t been banned. Until I see proof/irrefutable evidence that this is what is causing the ban, I’m just going to call this fear mongering.

Craftyawesome likes this.
  6. TesseractStorm

United States
    I was just noting what I've seen in the three banwaves I've watched. The first was explicitly caused by pirating Pokemon games before their release. But the other two could easily be coincidence given how popular the series is.

7. fedehda

fedehda GBAtemp Fan

Argentina
    My friend only has .3dsx apps that he uses rosalina. Unfortunately, he had spotpass and share information turned on. He downloaded Ultra Moon via freeshop and then updated to 1.2. He played online with that copy.

I wasn't banned, while I had spotpass and share information turned off, and didn't go online with ultra moon (in fact, i haven't played it anyways)

8. SaberLilly

SaberLilly GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well my 3DS got banned finally, I don't think it was the pokemon update 1.2 though as I never went online with the update installed. Only new thing I've done is do a GBA Virtual Console Injection, or Nintendo just finally caught up with my shenanigans

9. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

The spotpass and friend list theory was proven wrong.People got banned even with spotpass off.Using homebrew with the Wi-Fi on is the only trigger that can be narrowed down or any out of region/region free game.

10. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    what firmware are you on?

11. SaberLilly

United States
    the 11.6 firmware.

12. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I know they say it's ok to update but i'm still on 11.2 and I haven't been banned.

13. SaberLilly

United States
    Yeah, I mean they said it was alright, and I assume it still is, some people are saying its the pokemon 1.2 update (like those last random game updates/DLCs people were saying triggered bans) heck I could go full blown conspiracy theory here and say nintendo does it completely at random so people buy new systems, or banning the old 3ds/2ds families for the same reasons although I know this isn't the case so please don't hold it against me XD.

Last edited by SaberLilly, Feb 24, 2018
  14. gamemasteru03

gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

United States
    Follow this guide and you guys will become unbanned: https://gbatemp.net/threads/all-3-methods-to-get-unbanned-from-recent-ban-wave.450679/

15. trecko1234

trecko1234 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think it is safe to say that updating to 1.2 on USUM and going online isn't the cause of the banwaves. There are enough reports (me included) of people pirating USUM, updating to 1.2, going online and still not being banned. Yes, we don't know the cause of the banwave, but saying that that is the problem is just spreading misinformation and getting people more worried than necessary.

Craftyawesome and Deleted User like this.
  16. SaberLilly

United States
    Yeah, I honestly think I was banned because I used a Virtual Console Injection for a game that's not available on the E-shop and forgot to change its ID

17. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Vc injects,homebrew and out of region/region free games all count as unsupported software for the 3ds.Using any of these things with the Wi-Fi switch on is likely to cause a ban.

18. SaberLilly

United States
    Heh, I'd laugh if it turned out that using only 1 VC inject got my system banned, because i use homebrew since 11.2/11.3, and haven't been banned until sometime starting on the 15th. I think the banwave started around then.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

From all the statistics we have,Nintendo doesn't seem to ban people right away,but it seems like they list off what seeds to ban first while biding there time from however they are recording users using unsupported software.Im guessing once they gather enough Intel over a few months for specific users since there might be a limitation on how many people they can ban at once,they ban all the seeds they caught using unsupported software at the same time.The cycle will only repeat after a few months,they will mark down whoever used homebrew on there ban list,bide there time for other users they can catch using it and then ban them all at the same time.That way they can ban them even when they aren't online when they send out the wave to kill the seeds.

Last edited Feb 25, 2018
  20. Reaga

Reaga GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Not banned yet, despite using NTR launcher online multiple times in January. Haven't updated USUM to 1.2, now worried about doing so

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Regarding, banwave, UPDATE