235 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. Have you NEVER used a save editor?

123 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Did you have spot pass turned on?

258 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. Is your console linked to an NNID, and you were banned?

120 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Is your console NOT linked to an NNID and you were banned?

50 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. vicdrian

vicdrian Member
    Newcomer

I'm asking the guy who gave me the info.

This is the SpotPass notification I received:

''This information is destined to the users of Nintendo DS programs.
    The following functions won't be available when you use Nintendo DS programs:
    -StreetPass for Nintendo 3DS programs.
    -Data transmission via SpotPass.
    -Friend List, notifications, game notes and other functions of Home Menu.

Nintendo''

Attached Files:

2. SavageGaming360

Newcomer

United States
    Hmm so that's a diffrent error code than what everyone else is getting so I'm not sure try using a online feature

3. Chinzcinatti

Chinzcinatti Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Can't confirm anything CFW-wise but as a stock user who uses Homebrew to save edit...

- N3DS, 11.4
    - Has never had any sort of CFW on it
    - Used Freakyhax like 10 minutes ago to access Homebrew
    - Spotpass was turned on, but is now off
    - Save edited Pokemon Sun using JKSV
    - Went online and traded with a random person
    - No ban

Not sure if it is just CFW users because of lack of information, but from what I've read earlier Doodlebomb was a concern? Is that just CFW users or everyone?

4. Foupen
    This message by Foupen has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, May 26, 2017, Reason: Nope.
    May 26, 2017 Show
  5. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Let me rephrase that with a bit more info.

I have an old 3DS on 1.2 with a9lh. Its got a handful of game cia's, emulators, etc installed. I can't remember if I've ever played a game online. I don't think I have. But I've done a few game updates or DLC updates online, directly from the home menu. Dunno if that counts.
    I've never used the friends list or anything like that before today. I opened the friends list app for the first time and I got the "update your firmware" error.

Is this still unbanned?

6. Aaronius_Leonius
    This message by Aaronius_Leonius has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, May 26, 2017, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    May 26, 2017 Show
  7. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

Germany
    I'm not saying I won't be banned, I most likely will be. What I was saying is that the ban wave is justified and that things like spotpass most likely aren't the trigger.

8. Procyon
    This message by Procyon has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, May 26, 2017, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    May 26, 2017 Show
  9. PiiChuChu

PiiChuChu Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    I never heard of/used doodlethingie and got banned still. cfw 11.4

10. ItsMetaKnight
    This message by ItsMetaKnight has been removed from public view by Issac, May 27, 2017, Reason: Cleaning up.
    May 26, 2017 Show
  11. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Except we don't know what the criteria is for being put on the ban list. If they are going back as far as possible and if it only takes one "detection" to be banned then you are right but those are some pretty big "ifs". It is entirely possible that it requires that you still be detected having those titles installed sometime after the 22nd for to be banned and if that is the case, then merely going online to check could result in being banned as not only do you have to turn off all sharing/collection, but block the sending of the homemenu extdata which I don't think anyone has done.

12. Veranek
    This message by Veranek has been removed from public view by Issac, May 27, 2017, Reason: Cleaning up.
    May 26, 2017 Show
  13. dinoson631
    This message by dinoson631 has been removed from public view by Issac, May 27, 2017.
    May 26, 2017 Show
  14. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

The thing is, if I'm on 11.2 then what online features can I use? On the odd occasion in the past when I had to go online briefly for something, I've used ctr-httpawn. I'm afraid to use that now cuz I guess there's a chance it could trigger the ban, seeing how I shouldn't be able to go online without updating.

15. Veranek
    This message by Veranek has been removed from public view by Issac, May 27, 2017, Reason: Cleaning up.
    May 26, 2017 Show
  16. MollyChan

MollyChan Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I suppose I may as well put down more information
    - New 3DS with Luma3DS (dunno which version) and al9h
    - Had CFW installed on April 29th
    - Aside from FBI, Luma Updater, and Homebrew Launcher, I also have a Doom port, CHMM, PKSM (which I hadn't launched yet) and I think two other applications I can't remember
    - Also have a bunch of Retroarch emulators and GameYob. I did install CIAs from... unmentionable sites for two Puyo Puyo games, but that was largely so that I could wait until I get a Switch and Puyo Puyo Tetris
    - I have never used Freeshop, and have never head of this "Doodlebomb" thing before until now
    - Also I had all Spotpass stuff enabled since then until just last night when I found out about this, which was probably a bit of a bad decision on my part

Really wish I had waited just a month longer to get CFW
    Guess all I can do for now is hope I get lucky

EDIT: one more thing
    - Haven't played a game online since just before that Pokemon Sun/Moon banwave happened

Last edited by MollyChan, May 26, 2017
  17. toberkel

toberkel GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Yeah, but I edited it a bit and took out alll the grammar mistakes, cause I wrote it verry fast and I'm German. But Yeah, I can't understand why people can't stay offline for a week. Think they don't have a life. But yeah... Luckily I got a seed that is nearly unused, and all 4 people who got it won't use it untill we can circumvent the ban. So I'm save with this file I think :)

18. nitroBW

nitroBW warum nicht?

Germany
    Having installed any CFW seems to qualify you for a ban, so this is the only confirmed cause we have so far. Tbh we don't have any ban requirements except this.
    A ban list would make sense if you think about them collecting data, but there are still some inconsistencies, but unless another theory seems more plausible, I'll stick to the banlist lol

19. Aaronius_Leonius

Newcomer

United States
    This may be a really stupid question but if my 2ds gets banned, would the value from my broken 3ds work or is it specific to model? Please don't bash me for being a noob, this is how noobs learn.

20. Nio

Nio GBAtemp Regular

Gambia, The
    Nintendo declared war on the hax0rs, but they ll strike back and it wont be funny for anybody!

21. nitroBW
    This message by nitroBW has been removed from public view by Issac, May 27, 2017, Reason: Cleaning up.
    May 26, 2017 Show
  22. ItsMetaKnight

ItsMetaKnight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

CFW seems to be fine. Having installed any illegimate CIAs seems to qualify instead. There is not a single reported case of having CFW without FBI. (Though most of CFW users do have FBI because it's part of the guide)

23. kehkou

kehkou does what Nintendon't

United States
    After checking and playing all day on these four USA units NO BANS YET:

O3DS 1&2: Luma - bs9 - 11.4 - Both still online (both can see each other online in friend list) - ACNL editing- no longer sending data to nintendo

O3DS 3: Luma - a9lh - 11.3 - Still online (sister uses primarily for youtube) - likely still sending data to nintendo

O2DS 4: Luma - a9lh - 11.4 - Son's unit so i haven't checked, but still shows up as online in my friend list - likely still sending data to nintendo

We all use CIAngel to "acquire" new software, HBLL Installed, FBI too. One (mine) was dg'd with GW once.

I use the router method only, to block updates to the 3DSs and Wii U.

Last edited by kehkou, May 26, 2017
  24. tommikinder

tommikinder GBAtemp Regular

I've been lucky so far, both my O3DS and N3DS are still working online.
    I have edited saves for lots of games and I've always had Spotpass sending of information turned off on both devices.
    Keeping my fingers crossed! :unsure:

25. Geeta

Geeta Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Venezuela
    I'm also have sys in 9.2 with homebrew access to emunand in 11.4 and i don't use fbi or freeshop and i'm not banned. I'm also curious if anyone like us has been banned?

26. nitroBW

nitroBW warum nicht?

Germany
    True, but when I say CFW, I mean going through the guide and having installed FBI, sorry.
    Although I think there was someone claiming to be banned without CFW at all.

ItsMetaKnight likes this.
  27. MollyChan

MollyChan Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I really wish there could be a way to evade the bans without switching 3DS consoles. I'm happy with the Zelda new 3DS XL I have right now, and although I do have a non-CFW old 3DS, that console has been out of commission for a little over a year because the charger port in the console is no longer functioning

As far as I know, removing CFW now and letting Nintendo collect the data showing it is no longer on your 3DS doesn't change anything

28. Nio

Nio GBAtemp Regular

Gambia, The
    Ha another crazy idea. Lots of people here are friends. Maybe thats how they took out somw kind of network?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Regarding, banwave, UPDATE