Update options Ipod 2G MC

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by PrimusZa1, Jul 13, 2011.

Jul 13, 2011

Update options Ipod 2G MC by PrimusZa1 at 2:09 PM (1,336 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. PrimusZa1
    OP

Newcomer PrimusZa1 Member

United States
    I have a Ipod 2G MC that is JB'd at ios 4.1 Is there any benefit for updating the ios further? If so what is the latest ios that can be untethered JB for the MC? The research I've done so far looks like it would be 4.2.X. If that is true and the latest iso is 4.3.3 is it possible to update to just the 4.2.X for the time being and wait for a future untethered break (if there ever is one)?

Thanks in advance

2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The last firmware for the iPod touch 2G is iOS 4.2.1, which does have an untethered jailbreak (greenpois0n). But honestly, I can't think of any worthwhile features that 4.2.1 brought to the iPod touch 2G. (Well, maybe it resolves the alleged battery woes of iOS 4.1.)

Your iPod may run a bit smoother on 4.2.1, but you'll miss out on multitasking (trying to use Apple's multitasking will result in a SpringBoard crash).

3. Tom

Member Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

United States
    More stable, on the multitasking side you could get a Cydia Multitasker if you wanted

4. PrimusZa1
    OP

United States
    I know I shouldn't reply to an older post but I finally got off my butt to do this....I should update to stock 4.2 via apple then jailbreak right? Again sorry for answering though an old post of mine

5. Dialexio

United States
    Yup, that's right. But personally, I restore when updating to avoid any issues that may (or may not) arise.

6. PrimusZa1
    OP

United States
    Ok I updated finally but for some reason I had to completely restore the Ipod (lost everything) because it kept giving me a error every time I tried to update it normally though I tunes. Anyway it on the last available firmware for the Ipod 8gig MC and is now jail broken with Greenpoison. The only really weird this I do find is that I can not for the life of me get it to change the wallpaper to anything. It's just stays as a black background no matter what I pick. Was this a flaw with the 4.2.1 firmware? I noticed that my wives IPhone 3g which is not jail broken and official was also on 4.2.1 and has the same issue.

7. Dialexio

United States
    The iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G cannot (officially) have a background image. You'll need to find something in Cydia to enable background images, or use WinterBoard.

Just a warning: If you choose to enable Apple's background image function, the SpringBoard will lag.

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    The wallpaper is only for lockscreen, use winterboard to set a background

9. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    There is no real reason not to update to 4.2.1. You can enable multitasking without crashes by following these instructions. You can enable native background wallpaper display without hindering your device's performance or using Winterboard by following these instructions.

For the multitasking without crashes, you will end up getting strange little horizontal lines on some of your buttons and whatnot. Not really an issue. If you don't want the horizontal lines, stick with 4.1.

10. Tom

Member Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

United States
  11. PrimusZa1
    OP

United States

Good to know.. Then I guess I'm where I need to be. Thanks for all the help!