1. BlueSlider

OP BlueSlider Newbie
    Newcomer

Italy
    Hello guys. I have and OG 3DS (not XL), it hasn't been updated in a long time now. It's still on 8.6E, and now I'd like to install a custom firmware on it. So I need to get it to 9.2 right? Well, what's the best way to do it?

Do I really need to find a copy of smash bros 3ds? Isn't there another way?

2. Wolfvak

Wolfvak nyaa~

Uruguay
    Why would you need SSB? If you update to 9.2 with a cart, I believe you can't use the browser, and you'll be forced to use Cubic Ninja.

3. BlueSlider

OP BlueSlider Newbie
    Newcomer

Italy
    It was suggested to me, I was just asking about it. :)

So what other options do I have? Use SysUpdater? I know it's the tool used to downgrade, going by the name I guess it can upgrade too. ahah

4. Wolfvak

Wolfvak nyaa~

Uruguay
    You have two options:
    - Downgrade MSET to 4.x and use the DS Profile Exploit to boot rxTools (https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-downgrade-sysnands-settings-to-an-exploitable-version.391443/)
    - Upgrade to 9.0 - 9.2 and use browserhax+menuhax in order to coldboot either the HBL and then run rxTools.3dsx, or rename rxTools.3dsx to boot.3dsx and have it launch automatically.

Both methods need an already set-up emuNAND and a method to boot rxTools (I guess you could use the browser...?)

5. BlueSlider

OP BlueSlider Newbie
    Newcomer

Italy
    The downgrade one sounds kinda dangerous. For the other, I need to upgrade to 9.0 or 9.2, ok... But how do I do that? ahah

6. Wolfvak

Wolfvak nyaa~

Uruguay
  7. BlueSlider

OP BlueSlider Newbie
    Newcomer

Italy
    It's an 8.something, I was sure it was 8.6, but If it doesn't exists then I must be wrong ahah (Can't check it either right now, don't have my 3DS with me at the moment).
    Thank you for the link, I'll into it! :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Related question, once I have RXTools running, as far as I can see, I should be able to backup my sysnand and in case something goes wrong restore it right? In case of a brick or something.

8. artur3004

artur3004 GBAtemp Fan

Gambia, The
    Only 8.1 exist, if you have a browser installed, you can use browserhax to get into homebrewlauncher, then update with sysupdater (the version without memchunkhax2, so the newest one https://github.com/profi200/sysUpdater/releases), of course, you need all 9.2 cia firmware files placed at sd/update/

9. Wolfvak

Wolfvak nyaa~

Uruguay
    Yup. I believe you can already do that, using the Gatewait launcher and your webbrowser (actual Gateway cart not required!)

1 - Put the Gateway Launcher.dat in your SD card root.
    2 - Go to http://go.gateway-3ds.com/ on your 3ds web browser.
    3 - It should glitch out a little, but soon enough you'll be at the Gateway menu!
    4 - Select BACKUP SYSTEM NAND
    5 - It will take a while, but when it's done your SysNAND will be backed up in your SD card, with filename NAND.bin.

10. BlueSlider

OP BlueSlider Newbie
    Newcomer

Italy
    Allright, probably stupid question here, but you never know... Can't I set up (and update) an emuNAND from the firmware I'm on now (8.1 apparently)?

11. artur3004

artur3004 GBAtemp Fan

Gambia, The
    possibly, but 8.1 hasn't a very handy entrypoint for homebrew, on 4.5 you have mset exploit and on 9.0-9.2 you have menuhax

12. BlueSlider

OP BlueSlider Newbie
    Newcomer

Italy
    Ok, so basically I need to update to get the best possible result. And then once I'm on 9.2 set up a custom firmware and an emuNAND.

If I backup my NAND before doing anything at all, will I be able to restore in any case?

13. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

United States
    there . . . now its not a question . . . but a statement

14. BlueSlider

OP BlueSlider Newbie
    Newcomer

Italy
    Cool!

So the first thing to do is setup rxTools and backup my NAND, and then set up an emuNAND while I'm still on 8.1. Which guide should I follow to set up emuNAND?

Last edited by BlueSlider, Jan 25, 2016
  15. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

United States
    that info is old and some of it no longer relevant (specifically downgrading to 4.x . . . no one does that anymore) but read that threads op all the same :teach: as it goes into detail about the differences between sysnand and emunand
    here is a guide [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS) to do everything you want to do (and then some)

16. BlueSlider

OP BlueSlider Newbie
    Newcomer

Italy
    Thank you very much. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Update,