update gate

CrunZeeMunZee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
my r4 dsi broke after updating to newer software, when I search for some fix I came across this platform which has some fix and one of them is by modding the dsi using unlaunch and twilight, I'm not a deep tinkerer myself but also want to play more games on the dsi since i have a little libraries of games on my old 2gb sd card, so if I want to dual boot, which part was affected from modding, is it cpu only or also the sd card get affected, since I also want to buy the part to get it to original previous setting, so how much of a part do i buy and which should i save
is it :
( new ) 2 r4 & 2 sd
or
( new ) 1 r4 & 2 sd
or
( new ) 2 r4 & 1 sd
or
( new ) [ 1 r4 ( vanilla ) & 1 sd ( mod ) ] and
( old ) [ 1 r4 ( mod / trash ) & 1 sd ( vanilla ) ]

Last edited by CrunZeeMunZee,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello lad. I admit I don't fully understand what you're asking. You said your r4 broke, right? Then we put it aside.
If you install Unlaunch and use TwilightMenu++ as software in the SD-slot, you will no longer need an r4; you will be able to play any DS rom or emulator from there. Of course, you can still buy a new r4 (r4 Gold Pro and Ace3ds+ clone cost very little and are fully compatible) and play from both r4 slot and SD slot.
For example, as for me, I play DS games on r4 and emulators from SD cards via TwilightMenu++.
You can also move the games contained in your old 2 GB SD to other, perhaps larger, SD cards. I recommend a 32 GB one for the R4, and a 64 GB one for the DSi camera (SD) slot.
Did I make myself clear? Did I answer your questions?

CrunZeeMunZee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hello lad. I admit I don't fully understand what you're asking. You said your r4 broke, right? Then we put it aside.
If you install Unlaunch and use TwilightMenu++ as software in the SD-slot, you will no longer need an r4; you will be able to play any DS rom or emulator from there. Of course, you can still buy a new r4 (r4 Gold Pro and Ace3ds+ clone cost very little and are fully compatible) and play from both r4 slot and SD slot.
For example, as for me, I play DS games on r4 and emulators from SD cards via TwilightMenu++.
You can also move the games contained in your old 2 GB SD to other, perhaps larger, SD cards. I recommend a 32 GB one for the R4, and a 64 GB one for the DSi camera (SD) slot.
Did I make myself clear? Did I answer your questions?
what i mean will modding lock / root one / both of the r4 card / sd card to be used only for modded system or can you still use one of the parts on vanilla system ?
Post automatically merged:

what i mean is modding will lock the r4 card / sd card to be used only for modded system or can you still use one of the parts on vanilla system ?

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can use an r4 on any DS phat/ lite/ DSi/ 2DS/ 3DS, unless it is too old and the console software is up to date; in this case it would block the use of the flashcart (r4). But with Unlaunch on DSi you can launch any r4, even an old one.
As for the SD card, after modifying the DSi (simple software modification, not hardware) you can obviously also use it on other devices (but I don't understand why you should do this) as long as you don't delete the necessary files required by the DSi to start up correctly. Maybe other users will explain this better. 🤷

CrunZeeMunZee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
what i mean is modding will lock the r4 card / sd card to be used only for modded system or can you still use one of the parts on vanilla system ?

You can use an r4 on any DS phat/ lite/ DSi/ 2DS/ 3DS, unless it is too old and the console software is up to date; in this case it would block the use of the flashcart (r4). But with Unlaunch on DSi you can launch any r4, even an old one.
As for the SD card, after modifying the DSi (simple software modification, not hardware) you can obviously also use it on other devices (but I don't understand why you should do this) as long as you don't delete the necessary files required by the DSi to start up correctly. Maybe other users will explain this better. 🤷
also if I buy the 2021 ver of r4, would it work for vanilla or it would be blocked by the update ?

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
also if I buy the 2021 ver of r4, would it work for vanilla or it would be blocked by the update ?
As I have already written, only old r4s are blocked by updated original software (the latest, most recent version of this is also 10 years or more old anyway) of a DSi; the r4s of recent years are all compatible with vanilla DS consoles, and in any case it is almost always specified by the seller. For example, with r4 Gold Pro you are on the safe side; fully compatible with unmodified DS phat/ Lite, DSi, 2DS, 3DS.

CrunZeeMunZee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
welp I accidentally downloaded from the r4i-sdhc . com which is the wrong link but I managed to download the file I need which should be from r4isdhc . hk site, but because it's now inactive site i can't look it up, but because of the internet said that it's the same file from the r4isdhc . com . cn site and I download it and it works fine, though idk if there are any incompatibilities or not

Reactions: Nikokaro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Warm balls in the winter +2