Update and Tinfoil Installer

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

So I am very new to Switch modding, and recently finished modding my Switch with the Rentry guide. Now, I would like to get an installer with shops, which I heard Tinfoil has, but am also wondering if I should update the OFW firmware to 14.0.0 right now or not. I think I have exosphere and DNS MITM from the rentry guide, I may even have 90DNS as well because I had followed the switch.homebrew.guide too. (I had to fix some things, so I used Rentry afterwards). Anyways, how can I tell if 90DNS, DNS MITM, and exosphere are working and are on my Switch? And if I get an installer, I boot into emuMMC from Hekate to install, right? Am I able to use WiFi to install Tinfoil and other HB without updating first and avoid getting banned or auto-update? I am hesitant to update because I hear that it is pre-release.

Lastly, I found a Tinfoil guide, but wanted to see if it was correct or not:
-Don't link to things that link to piracy sites-

I also have Gold Leaf from the switch.homebrew.guide. If there is something better than Tinfoil, I would love to hear your thoughts and advice. Thank you for the help!

Last edited by linuxares,
Reactions: cluelessidler

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

So I am very new to Switch modding, and recently finished modding my Switch with the Rentry guide. Now, I would like to get an installer with shops, which I heard Tinfoil has, but am also wondering if I should update the OFW firmware to 14.0.0 right now or not.
it’s in pre-release right now and no known games require it. There’s no need to upgrade right now.
I think I have exosphere and DNS MITM from the rentry guide, I may even have 90DNS as well because I had followed the switch.homebrew.guide too. (I had to fix some things, so I used Rentry afterwards). Anyways, how can I tell if 90DNS, DNS MITM, and exosphere are working and are on my Switch?
Click my signature and there’s a blog with links to 90DNS tester. Check you system seriel number in setting to make sure it’s 00000s

And if I get an installer, I boot into emuMMC from Hekate to install, right?
correct

Am I able to use WiFi to install Tinfoil and other HB without updating first and avoid getting banned or auto-update? I am hesitant to update because I hear that it is pre-release.

good to be skeptical. Test first. Upgrade later.

Most likely OK but you can always refer to tinfoil.io for instructions as well.
I also have Gold Leaf from the switch.homebrew.guide. If there is something better than Tinfoil, I would love to hear your thoughts and advice. Thank you for the help!

I use Tinfoil, DBI and Tinwoo regularly. Links in my sig. I have Gold Leaf installed and I use it occasionally. No need to just use one…it might feel like religion but it’s not.

Last edited by linuxares,

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it’s in pre-release right now and no known games require it. There’s no need to upgrade right now.

Click my signature and there’s a blog with links to 90DNS tester. Check you system seriel number in setting to make sure it’s 00000s

correct

good to be skeptical. Test first. Upgrade later.

Most likely OK but you can always refer to tinfoil.io for instructions as well.

I use Tinfoil, DBI and Tinwoo regularly. Links in my sig. I have Gold Leaf installed and I use it occasionally. No need to just use one…it might feel like religion but it’s not.

Thank you for the helpful information!
I will go ahead and test out Tinfoil and those other ones you mentioned before updating. If they work, I won't update yet.

About 90DNS, is it the same as DNS MITM? Or a bit different? Then with exosphere can I see that at the end of my model number in settings with an E at the end?

So I know what Tinfoil is, but what does DBI, Tinwoo, and Gold Leaf do? Does each installer have it's pros and cons? I think I heard of one that you could use and go to a shop without connecting to a PC? It may have been Tinfoil. I appreciate the link to the guide by the way.

Thanks again for the help!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the helpful information!
I will go ahead and test out Tinfoil and those other ones you mentioned before updating. If they work, I won't update yet.

About 90DNS, is it the same as DNS MITM? Or a bit different? Then with exosphere can I see that at the end of my model number in settings with an E at the end?

The link in my blog is for 90DNS Tester which doesn’t do anything but try to ping Hostnames associated with Ninty. This ensures whatever solution you’re using is working as expected. If all green then DNS is blocked for the known services.

To answer your question about 90DNS itself…

90DNS is, well, a DNS service. When your Switch tries to look up x.nintendo.com it queries the 90DNS service and recieves and erroneous IP. When attempting to contact that IP and, for example, upload secret logs about you, it fails because the IP it received is wrong. DNS:mitm is similar but your Switch responds to itself with an erroneous IP address before it even gets a chance to query a DNS server (even 90DNS.) The same effect but different ways to get there. Some say 90DNS could be down but to be clear then it won’t get any IP so you’re still safe. Others say DNS:mitm could stop working for some reason. We’ve not seen that edge case to date and again it’s likely that if that’s broken you wouldn’t be querying external servers anyway. You should make your own choice of one or both. I run dns:mitm on my switch.

The E at the end of your Firmware in Settings is for Emunand and has little to do with any of this Spy stuff we’re talking about. If exosphere.ini is set up like my blog link you will see the first letters of your serial number in Settings but all of the digits will be 0s. By setting it to all 0s it guarantees you will not be able to handshake with the Ninty servers properly and even if you did there would be no identifying numbers in your Prodinfo.

So I know what Tinfoil is, but what does DBI, Tinwoo, and Gold Leaf do? Does each installer have it's pros and cons?

Yes, they do. I highly recommend hitting the links in my sig and reading up on all of the ones you’re interested in.

I think I heard of one that you could use and go to a shop without connecting to a PC? It may have been Tinfoil.

Yes, that’s a unique feature of Tinfoil although you can set up you own private server with others as well.

I appreciate the link to the guide by the way.

Thanks again for the help!

You bet! Last recommendation is the read as much as you can now BEFORE you get in a jam and need the info in an emergency.

Good Luck!

Last edited by binkinator,

kaska78

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
What if I've already updated? I get a mistake. Do you know how to solve it? Thanks

Attachments

• 744c2a88-6416-4950-9c74-f697867b401d.jpg
    744c2a88-6416-4950-9c74-f697867b401d.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 151

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you're replying to a spam bot, based on the picture they attached being the exact same one as "OP" posted in that thread (which also ended up being a spam bot, they edited in their ad link a day after posting the thread.)

I’m pretty sure you are 100% correct! That’s precisely why I linked to that post with the identical photo. ;-)

Reactions: Takokeshi

kaska78

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
¡Estoy bastante seguro de que estás 100% en lo cierto! Es precisamente por eso que vinculé a esa publicación con la foto idéntica. ;-)
You have the broken sixth sense. I've only taken a picture from somewhere else because I have the same problem. I just need help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: