[UPDATE 2] Calling all Tempers: Help Chary and Family!

Capture.JPG

Today we have setup a GoFundMe page for our beloved reporter @Chary.

Krista and her family have lost their entire home and all worldly possessions in the floods caused by Hurricane Harvey.

Please help us to help them by donating on the following page, any amount will help!

:arrow:Donate on GoFundMe
:arrow:Donate via Paypal to [email protected] and we'll match it on GoFundMe

:arrow:Houston Red Cross

[-UPDATE 2-]
Chary and her family have now received the cash from the fundraiser in full. Thanks again to everyone who donated and helped out!

[-UPDATE-]

After 2 weeks 82 donations have helped to raise £2022 (roughly $2670) to help Chary and her family to rebuild their lives.

A massive thanks to all of the following tempers who donated, and those of you who wished to remain anonymous:

@CreeperdivoHomebrewer
@BlackWizzard17
@Montgomery Von Goochums
@Becky McAndrew
[USER=31]@shaunj66

@thomas Hugh
@DinohScene
@Yudowat
@Disse
@Foxi4
@linuxares
@Bubsy Bobcat
@Depravo
@bjaxx87
@Mário Liberato
@RayD97 Dean
@eric Cobb
@Shadowfied
@sandra Hughes
@Majin Cubyan
[USER=290925]@frogboy

@nEx Y
@exangel
@Rebekah Davenport
@XxShalevElimelechxX
@mohammed Al Rashedi
@SuzieJoe Bob
@andre Trek
@lilaznkilla
@Aneki S
@Bu2d85
@Munchlax Brunchlax
[USER=30028]@Julio
Lizardo
@Eris
@Catsinabucket
@sarkwalvein
@drazenm
@xfxmrl
@Lia
@GamerzHell9137
@x65943
@Elrinth
@BowlOfSpiders
@jerbear64
@cearp
@VinsCool
@Minox
@Roify
@Apathetic_Discord
@Deathwing Zero
@Dennis L
@GearCross
@Joshua F
@draxoon
@Issac
@B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N
@Yu Lu
@Gallito
@misterion
@8BitWonder
@deakphreak
@Armadillo
@matpower
@H.F.H Peeters
@Taleweaver
@p1ngpong
@anon nano
@Alephas Enum
@DarkFlare69
@Todderbert
@HaloEliteLegend
@nastydsi
@ian Mc
[USER=317601]@mbcrazed

@elias Jackson
@6 x anonymous

Also a massive thanks to everyone who has streamed to help this fund.

You are what makes GBAtemp such an amazing community to be a part of!

Now, as for GoFundMe, they have still not released the funds to Chary, despite saying they would, over 10 days ago. The excuse is their engineers need time to convert the raised amount to dollars, and their payment processing team are trying their best to get it done. To me this sounds absurd, but here we are, 14 days since the fund started, waiting for the cash to be paid out in this emergency situation.[/USER][/USER][/USER][/USER]

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
If your vita isn't salvageable, I can give you mines. It's been collecting dust for about 8 months now, it has a couple of scratches, but it works perfectly and comes with a 16GB memory card.
I appreciate that immensely, but I had a lot of Vita related stuff, and a vita tv might have made it.

I got some things out, I'm in the back of a truck being squished. My uncle gave me a laptop, one chair is okay, some clothes turned out okay (my drawer was full of water to the top. A GBA, my flute, some Pokémon cards, and a vita tv were dry. my SNES and FF3 as well. The rest...wasn't so pretty. I didn't even get to see all of my room, cuz my bed had floated off the boxspring and was soggy, blocking half of my room. I left it to my parents to deal with, and my uncle dragged me back out to get groceries.

IMG_3953.JPG

''Twas mostly shovelware, it was the glass cabienet with the good stuff that I couldn't get to.

IMG_3954.JPG

It's okay!

IMG_3960.jpg
IMG_3961.jpg

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Most of the games can be fixed again. They will need a good cleaning however.
Do anyone know someone with a ultrasonic cleaner?

@Chary even paying us with cat tax!

Last edited by linuxares,
Reactions: Chary

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Most of the games can be fixed again. They will need a good cleaning however.
Do anyone know someone with a ultrasonic cleaner?

@Chary even paying us with cat tax!
Uncle took the baby kitty! I'm going back later to grab the tuxedo mother cat. <3 they're both in good hands

NicoAICP

Some random dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I appreciate that immensely, but I had a lot of Vita related stuff, and a vita tv might have made it.

I got some things out, I'm in the back of a truck being squished. My uncle gave me a laptop, one chair is okay, some clothes turned out okay (my drawer was full of water to the top. A GBA, my flute, some Pokémon cards, and a vita tv were dry. my SNES and FF3 as well. The rest...wasn't so pretty. I didn't even get to see all of my room, cuz my bed had floated off the boxspring and was soggy, blocking half of my room. I left it to my parents to deal with, and my uncle dragged me back out to get groceries.

View attachment 97271
''Twas mostly shovelware, it was the glass cabienet with the good stuff that I couldn't get to.

View attachment 97272
It's okay!

View attachment 97273View attachment 97274
hopefully most of the survived things survived, and if not, hopefully they are easily fixable

Zaiphon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If your vita isn't salvageable, I can give you mines. It's been collecting dust for about 8 months now, it has a couple of scratches, but it works perfectly and comes with a 16GB memory card.
I would gladly take it if you just give it away.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
The only other thing that I can offer you is that I can attempt to fix any electronics that are not working. I don't have to tools to %100 fix everything, but I have the tools and skills to fix %75 of things that I have come across that had water damage. The only tool I am missing is an ultrasonic washer.

6 F bombs and you're asking me to calm down?
Well, the title does say "Calling all Tempers", so I figured it was only appropriate to give you mine. :D

D

Deleted User

I know it may not be much but you can save most electric devices from a water trip by completely letting them dry out (in and outside) before turning them on.
you gota scrape the white stuff out or it will short out

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Salvaged some more sentimental things; pictures, heirlooms, etc. I was glad to see those made it. I am absolutely beat after all the running around done today, hauling things. My dad was determined to "save" the washing machine he had just purchased the previous month. It doesn't...look okay...but he really wanted it. It's under warranty anyways... My parents are starting to get a little bit antsy with each other, and I don't think seeing the house in the shape it was helped with that. It's rough on everyone. I talked to my neighbors, and the entire town of Westbury seems to just be totaled. Everyone on our street is either moving out of Texas entirely, or spending thousands rennovating the flood damage away.

I'm packing up out of this hotel, and on friday morning, I'll be moving into the hotel closer to my mom's work (and the storage shed). I'll be there for a month, looking for a non flooded rental house...dealing with the car insurance...etc etc. My landowner was pretty snippy with me, too. He says he's bringing people in on monday to start repairs, and he will keep all contents within the house. Not like there's much to keep...but it puts pressure on me to make sure there's nothing at all salvagable before he claims the house.

Thanks to all the donations, I'll be able to eat dinner tonight. The dog has chow as well! <3 Though it's really difficult, everyone here is doing as good as they possibly could be.

sp3off

GBATemp's least active boy
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Salvaged some more sentimental things; pictures, heirlooms, etc. I was glad to see those made it. I am absolutely beat after all the running around done today, hauling things. My dad was determined to "save" the washing machine he had just purchased the previous month. It doesn't...look okay...but he really wanted it. It's under warranty anyways... My parents are starting to get a little bit antsy with each other, and I don't think seeing the house in the shape it was helped with that. It's rough on everyone. I talked to my neighbors, and the entire town of Westbury seems to just be totaled. Everyone on our street is either moving out of Texas entirely, or spending thousands rennovating the flood damage away.

I'm packing up out of this hotel, and on friday morning, I'll be moving into the hotel closer to my mom's work (and the storage shed). I'll be there for a month, looking for a non flooded rental house...dealing with the car insurance...etc etc. My landowner was pretty snippy with me, too. He says he's bringing people in on monday to start repairs, and he will keep all contents within the house. Not like there's much to keep...but it puts pressure on me to make sure there's nothing at all salvagable before he claims the house.

Thanks to all the donations, I'll be able to eat dinner tonight. The dog has chow as well! <3 Though it's really difficult, everyone here is doing as good as they possibly could be.

Wow, well I've said (and you liked it, thanks for noticing !) that Thursday will also be one of the worst day of raining (as meteorologists says), due to Harvey being "stuck" at his position (they don't know why and this is the first time they see this). One expert reported that Harvey is the creation of multiple climatic changes and syndroms (such as heat, pollution, atmosphere and anticyclones (do not know if we say the same in English as in French))

EDIT : Just found out they updated... Deaths goes from 3 to 25, including a family of 6 found dead, and 25k houses in Texas who were found taken by the flood.

Last edited by sp3off,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
View attachment 97300 Here's what the Weather Channel says.
Shit, still heading my way. @Chary I will fuck this storm up when it hits!
Also I too would like to know if there is a time limit on the gofondme? I won't have money until Friday. Even if I won't have much to donate, I would still like to donate.

sp3off

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Shit, still heading my way. @Chary I will fuck this storm up when it hits!
Also I too would like to know if there is a time limit on the gofondme? I won't have money until Friday. Even if I won't have much to donate, I would still like to donate.

Well by seeing what's reported, it will be only a big wind (35 mph) and little rain coming for you. And I do not think there is a time limit, since donations are growing over the days.

Reactions: The Catboy

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 97300 Here's what the Weather Channel says.
This storm won't end!!! Go away, hurricane! Ugh! I want to go back out tomorrow...but I might just spend it sleeping if it's gonna rain more here. The devastation that this monster storm has caused is monumental.

sp3off

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This storm won't end!!! Go away, hurricane! Ugh! I want to go back out tomorrow...but I might just spend it sleeping if it's gonna rain more here. The devastation that this monster storm has caused is monumental.

Supposedly finishing between September 1st and September 2nd ... as the map says below

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well by seeing what's reported, it will be only a big wind (35 mph) and little rain coming for you. And I do not think there is a time limit, since donations are growing over the days.
I can dig wind. I ain't afraid of no storm!
From what I've read, it will be hitting on my nights off. So I won't have to worry about going out those nights.
Good~ I would hate to have extra money and not be able to help
Don't worry, I'll glare the storm down so hard that even the Gods will feel my glare!

sp3off

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, the goal went from 100 pounds to 2000 pounds, I guess that's the "hard" limit unless they keep it going for a bit longer after it reaches that.

Nope, then they can go to 5k and then 10k if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT : I've checked, you can put as much as you need to. I've saw fundraising that put a gap at 37.7k or others that put 2k.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can dig wind. I ain't afraid of no storm!
From what I've read, it will be hitting on my nights off. So I won't have to worry about going out those nights.
Good~ I would hate to have extra money and not be able to help

Don't worry, I'll glare the storm down so hard that even the Gods will feel my glare!

Haha I appreciate your energy Lilith !

Last edited by sp3off,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
So, maybe I'll seem a bit overly sentimental with this one. But when I was a little kid, I had this Charmander toy I'd carry with me everywhere I went. I love the plushie, and for 15 years I've had it. When I was an older teen, I'd packed him up, in my closet, and I felt kinda bad.

IMG_3986.JPG

He's clearly seen better days, but putting him up on a shelf saved him! It's so good to have some old childhood things survive the flooding.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-